Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read in this forum where someon was having a problem with their car stalling at idle was due to a bad alt. I can't find the post now but was wondering how low would the voltage have to be to make the car start bucking/jerking then adventually stalling.

My car has been bucking and stalling at times for almot the whole time I have owned the car. It doesn't do it constatnly, just occasionaly but right now it is doing it more then it used to. It has a bunch of new parts (except for the alt.) which were suggested in past forums but I am still having problems. I did notice that the voltage would start out at 14.1 volts in the morning. then though out the day it would work down to 13 volts then it would get down to about 12.2 volts and start bucking. This is all while stopped in gear, usually at a red light. then other times the car would get to 12.0 volts but wouldn't buck. I have seen it get to 11.8 volts and jump to about 12.5 volts on its own. It doesn't stay below 12.5 very long.

No engine light or codes stored. Ideas?:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
Fix known problems first........ As you know, you have charging system problems, so fix that first and see if the bucking problem goes away. The PCM does adjust injector pulse width to compensate for system voltage, but I dont know how low voltage can go before PCM cant correct for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts