Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Sable LS is missing the fog lights (weren't replaced after a wreck), so I was thinking about replacing them. Just for grins, I checked the voltage at each fog light plug with them turned on. The reading was like 14 mV on one side and 10 mV or so on the other. Initially, I thought it just wasn't picking up anything, but then I reversed the test leads and it showed the same numbers but just negative. I turned off the fog light switch and got a much different reading (can't recall what). And then to make sure my multimeter was working I checked the battery, and it read 12+ V (not mV).

Anyway, I'm wondering what's up here. I was expecting 12+ V at each plug. I don't want to purchase the fog lights (special order, can't return to dealer) if the wiring is screwed up and won't power them correctly.

Any thoughts on the voltage readings?

And any ideas about a cheaper place to buy the fog lights than at the dealer?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
there is not voltage at the plugs. te mv reading is flase...many meters read that.

you have a broken wire or blown fuse

Brad

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other suggestion I've gotten was to measure the voltage from each contact in the plug back to the battery ground. Apparently one of them should be near battery voltage and the other should be zero. I'll try that and also check the fuse(s).

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I second what Brad said. You need to check that the fog light connector is getting power AND that fog light connector ground circuit is not open. I'm not familiar with GenIII, but my GenII has a foglight relay. If the GenIII has one, you need to make sure the relay is working.

Ford tries to be consistent in their use of coloured wiring. By this I mean that, for example, parking light power wires are brown regardless of year and/or model. I could not find the electrical wiring diagrams for GenIII fog lights, but on the GenII the fog light power wire (after the relay) is tan with an orange stripe. The foglight ground wire is black. To check the ground circuit, place an ohmeter on the battery -ve and fog light ground. Resistance should be less than 5 ohms.

Mark
95 SHO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts