1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacement parts since I bought the car:
Inner and Outer Tie Rods (Motorcraft)
CV axles (Raxles)

A month or two after the CV axles, I notice that I have a low speed rattle/clunking/pattering noise, that is especially apparent on rough parking lot pavement.

Had the lower ball joints replaced. Still there.

Recently, the front end got brand new QuickStrut (click for info) assemblies along with metal, sealed endlinks from SHOSource. My old endlinks were factory plastic ones.

The subframe bushings are brand new (rear G3 ones in all 4 corners, Motorcraft). New motor mounts (Motorcraft).

Any ideas what it could be? I hope it isn't the lower control arms/bushings.

Thanks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Does it sound like it is coming from the front of the vehicle or more from the base of the
driver side B pillar? if you havent listened for a noise at the B pillar do so. If it seems to
possibly be coming from there it could be your parking brake cable adjuster clunking
against the floorpan / pinch weld. I did all the work you described and had this happen
on my 97. the parking brake works fine and is nice and tight but the damn adjuster was
clacking up against the floorpan. I ended up wire tying a piece of styrofoam to it. Still
looking for a better solution though. I'm supprised ford didnt have a clip the adjuster
slid in to or something. Then again maybe it's good they didnt since that would cause a
bad rust area on northern / rustbelt cars. Just something to think about!

Have a good one!

·
Registered
671 Posts
It does seem like it's coming from the front end. It kinda feels like worn swaybar bushings, if I could relate it to that, but Nick's suspension had been replaced.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (michakaveli @ Jul 9 2009, 04:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738283
It does seem like it's coming from the front end. It kinda feels like worn swaybar bushings, if I could relate it to that, but Nick's suspension had been replaced.[/b]
Yea I drove it yesterday and paid close attention. Definitely front end related. More of a clunking/pattering noise. You can even feel it while putting on the brakes and slowing down at city speeds. The rougher the road, the worse the knocking/pattering.

The parking brake adjuster thing appears to be OK.

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 10 2009, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738517
QUOTE (michakaveli @ Jul 9 2009, 04:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738283
It does seem like it's coming from the front end. It kinda feels like worn swaybar bushings, if I could relate it to that, but Nick's suspension had been replaced.[/b]
Yea I drove it yesterday and paid close attention. Definitely front end related. More of a clunking/pattering noise. You can even feel it while putting on the brakes and slowing down at city speeds. The rougher the road, the worse the knocking/pattering.

The parking brake adjuster thing appears to be OK.
[/b][/quote]

Possibly sub frame mounts? Just a guess, I'm a G2 SHO guy.. :)

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
if you can feel it in the brake pedal can you also feel it in the floor board? i would just check under there to make sure everything is tight. and a common problem is for the heatshield above the 3rd cat to come loose and rattle i would also sheck that

·
Registered
671 Posts
It's definitely nothing to do with the brake pedal. It feels suspension related, and over the weekend we were able to get it to "clunk" once while pulling into my driveway. I have one of those small curved inclines when you pull in. The left wheel fit the rounded curb and there was not sound. Slowly brought the right wheel (left turn into driveway), and wheel met the rounded curb there "clunk" surfaced.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
is it more noticable in a turn like that or just in general?

i would maybe check to make sure the subframe bolts are torqued down correctly and that the sway bar bushings and links are tight.

i have been getting a light clunk over large bumps after just installing new sway bar and bushings in the front though i think it may be the bushings wearing in

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jul 13 2009, 03:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739140
is it more noticable in a turn like that or just in general?

i would maybe check to make sure the subframe bolts are torqued down correctly and that the sway bar bushings and links are tight.

i have been getting a light clunk over large bumps after just installing new sway bar and bushings in the front though i think it may be the bushings wearing in[/b]
Heck, it's noticeable applying the brakes and/or slowing down in a straight line.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
michakaveli and I were thinking...is it common for the lower control arm bushings to wear out on 96-07 Taurus/Sables? I had this noise/feeling before I had the suspension work done up front and it's gotten progressively worse. There's not much else it can be up front considering I've replaced pretty much...everything.

·
Registered
671 Posts
In addition, there is a very sligh shake in the wheel while traveling, feel slike the tires up front are perfectly balanced. I had a similar issue on my other car and ended up replacing the lower control arms and it solved the issue. Hence our possible thought on the LCA's on his car.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Strut mounts? Some like what my grand am is doing.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The clunking noise has been getting a little worse over time, ever since I got the car.

When I replaced the struts, springs and endlinks...I made note that:
These Monroe Quick struts include all of the components required for strut replacement in a single, fully assembled unit. They feature a pre-assembled replacement bearing plate, upper and lower spring isolators, an upper spring seat, a coil spring, boot kit, and a premium Monroe Sensa-Trac strut[/b]
So all of that is new as well.

All that's left to replace up front is the lower control arms (since bushings are non-replaceable) and/or the wheel bearings. Any ideas?

Otherwise, I'm off to the Ford dealer...I did some computer work for them, so they owe me a couple free diagnostics (and they need to check the AC).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since dealer #1 struck out and has no clue how to diagnose, went to one out in the sticks here at school. 1st of all, kickass shop, nice place.

They found that the "right side, lower ball joint is loose". He showed me how he could move it in the ball joint in the LCA with a prybar. Since they were just replaced in April, I'm wondering if it's a faulty ball joint or the LCA is oblong or something, not allowing the ball joint to be pressed in properly. 1998-2003s apparently use the same LCA. I got to figure out what the next course of action is...

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Aug 28 2009, 12:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749563
Since dealer #1 struck out and has no clue how to diagnose, went to one out in the sticks here at school. 1st of all, kickass shop, nice place.

They found that the "right side, lower ball joint is loose". He showed me how he could move it in the ball joint in the LCA with a prybar. Since they were just replaced in April, I'm wondering if it's a faulty ball joint or the LCA is oblong or something, not allowing the ball joint to be pressed in properly. 1998-2003s apparently use the same LCA. I got to figure out what the next course of action is...[/b]
Could he or you tell if it was the ball moving in the socket or the balljoint not being completely secure in either the knuckle or the LCA? I would think if the balljoint to LCA nut is tightened securely, it shouldn't be able to move (because of the tapered stud) :dunno:

It's possible you got a dud balljoint too - but if it's the joint itself that seems to be having problems, I'd definitely change that before doing control arms.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Aug 28 2009, 04:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749614
Could he or you tell if it was the ball moving in the socket or the balljoint not being completely secure in either the knuckle or the LCA? I would think if the balljoint to LCA nut is tightened securely, it shouldn't be able to move (because of the tapered stud) :dunno:

It's possible you got a dud balljoint too - but if it's the joint itself that seems to be having problems, I'd definitely change that before doing control arms.[/b]
Hmmm...what I can try doing is jacking the car up, find a prybar, and film it this weekend. I don't exactly remember what was removing.

I was talking to Damon on the phone earlier, he suggested that since the 93-03 LCAs require you to properly press the ball joint in place, if you don't, you will have a problem like mine with the clunking, especially if you have replaced ball joints a few times. You'll flex the metal improperly.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK Tim @ dealer put it up on the lift and I filmed him demonstrating the issue...it's more clear towards the end of the video, with high quality mode on:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j-bul3hj1RI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j-bul3hj1RI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I cant really see whats going on there, but is there play in the boot area of the ball joint when he pried there? Like between the LCA and the knuckle?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my 2000 Taurus with 85,000 miles. I recently had the ball joints replaced and soon after I've been having front end pattering. I replaced the sway bar end links this morning but that didn't fix the problem. Let me know what you end up doing to fix your problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 27 2009, 09:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=742499
The clunking noise has been getting a little worse over time, ever since I got the car.

When I replaced the struts, springs and endlinks...I made note that:
These Monroe Quick struts include all of the components required for strut replacement in a single, fully assembled unit. They feature a pre-assembled replacement bearing plate, upper and lower spring isolators, an upper spring seat, a coil spring, boot kit, and a premium Monroe Sensa-Trac strut[/b]
So all of that is new as well.

All that's left to replace up front is the lower control arms (since bushings are non-replaceable) and/or the wheel bearings. Any ideas?

Otherwise, I'm off to the Ford dealer...I did some computer work for them, so they owe me a couple free diagnostics (and they need to check the AC).
[/b][/quote]
If I can freely move the nut and stud on the LCA does that mean the bushing is shot?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts