Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vehicle is getting about 15-16mpg when driving in city. I drive with AC on, lots of 35-40mph streets with lights, at least 25% on urban interstate. I am not racing on the streets but I do acknowledge that sometimes my throttle action is less smooth than it should be. On interstate, I get 27mpg when driving steadily at 70mph. Should I be worried about city gas use? To tell the truth, I was getting pretty much the same mpg figures even 5 years ago when I bought this car.

·
Registered
670 Posts
This thread comes up a lot. Your getting exact mileage that most of us get.

I get 15-16 mpg city and about 30 HWY in my Taurus with a Vulcan engine

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps this is normal. This car is clearly a gas guzzler in the city driving.

·
Registered
260 Posts
mines the otehr way around i get about 17-20 on the highway and around 25 in the city but my city doesnt have stop lights so im at a constant 40ish

·
Registered
670 Posts
Traffic lights and stop and go driving kill the milage on the Vulcan, like i said its the difference between 15 mph ish with a/c on lots of 35-45 mph roads and many traffic lights but if i go pure interstate at even 75 mph i can top 30 mpg as long as i don't flat foot it.

I have yet to try A/C off in the city because i don't want to bake my family.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Try to avoid running the a/c, and try to avoid idling (don't go to Whataburger's drive through, lol). I would still get 21-22 mpg around town, running the a/c, maybe it's driving style? Texas dosen't use "city blend" gas, just the mandated 10% ethanol washington forced on Texas, that went into effect a few years ago. At least Perry is willing to fight washington for us, so it won't totally ruin Texas. My new 5 speed Accent is about as powerful as my old Taurus was, lol.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A midsized car with V6 engine and a 4-speed automatic transmission will not get good city millage. The worst part of this package (for fuel economy) is the transmission. Ford Fusion used to come with the old (Taurus-spec) 200hp 3.0 Duratec, and its EPA rating in city driving was 21mpg in 2006, which is 3 above G3 Taurus, even though more recent EPA rules were tougher. 2006 Fusion had similar weight and size. What's the difference? The 6-speed automatic transmission.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Try to avoid running the a/c, and try to avoid idling (don't go to Whataburger's drive through, lol). I would still get 21-22 mpg around town, running the a/c, maybe it's driving style? Texas dosen't use "city blend" gas, just the mandated 10% ethanol washington forced on Texas, that went into effect a few years ago. At least Perry is willing to fight washington for us, so it won't totally ruin Texas. My new 5 speed Accent is about as powerful as my old Taurus was, lol.
You have to wonder about all these specialized fuel blends that actually increase fuel consumption. :eek: Seems to me like more politicians creating problems so that they can then step in and "solve" them. It will all be the fault of the oil companies eventually. :rolleyes2:

BTW you're right in the hornet's nest there in Austin. Isn't that like the liberal fire base for Texas?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Its because of the Vulcan Powah!!!
+1^ The Vulcan is ~55 less HP than a Tec. The engine has to work harder/rev higher to propel the car. That, and @ 35-40 mph you're not getting into overdrive where the mileage is better.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was having issues with horribly low gas mileage ( 13 - 15mpg ) before i replaced my leaking flex joint in the exhaust. Since then it has improved to around 17 -20.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I just filled up the tank on the new car, I was getting 29mpg around town, and it's not even broke in yet (422 miles). The v6 Fusion I had as a rental was a gas hog.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
BTW you're right in the hornet's nest there in Austin. Isn't that like the liberal fire base for Texas?
Yes, there's plenty of old hippies who live around Travis county, the yuppies from the west coast are starting to ruin things for Austin, but not as much as washington is. Two very different liberals. I thank the human rights fanatics for making our homeless problems worse. Tourists won't want to visit downtown if they keep getting hit up for change, and the whole public intoxication/public urination around the 6'th st entertainment district. There's a homeless shelter right in downtown, but at least we're not San Francisco!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Took a trip all interstate and filled up before i left and after i returned, over 150 miles all at around the 70 MPH speed limited with light idle time and only a few WOTs i returned 24 MPG with the defroster on most of the time. I can usually top 30 MPG in the summer with A/C on ;\

Gota love winter gas

1 - 20 of 22 Posts