Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Ford Taurus with 81000 miles. Bought as third owner. I had all the fluids changed at Ford. I stopped going there for quarterly oil changes because of a 'pad slapping' incident where I was told I needed replacement rotors and pads. Did the job myself with performance parts from Rock Auto. I found ONLY the brake pad clips rusty and corroded and the thru bolts needed lube. I drive between 5-7000 miles per year. I follow the severe service recommendations. Since I am 69, some parts replacements could be due after I am dead and gone.
I am thinking of advancing the 100,000 mile service per both Haynes and Ford at 85000. I live in Minnesota and it has been known to get cold up here.
Suggestions?
Recommendations?
Encouragement?

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
I have a 2011 Ford Taurus with 81000 miles. Bought as third owner. I had all the fluids changed at Ford. I stopped going there for quarterly oil changes because of a 'pad slapping' incident where I was told I needed replacement rotors and pads. Did the job myself with performance parts from Rock Auto. I found ONLY the brake pad clips rusty and corroded and the thru bolts needed lube. I drive between 5-7000 miles per year. I follow the severe service recommendations. Since I am 69, some parts replacements could be due after I am dead and gone.
I am thinking of advancing the 100,000 mile service per both Haynes and Ford at 85000. I live in Minnesota and it has been known to get cold up here.
Suggestions?
Recommendations?
Encouragement?

Congrats on your age and "do it your self" work. I am 10 years older and maintain 3 Bulls ('03's) and a Buck Lucerne. My Buick used ~7K miles in 16 months since I bought it. And I live in serious rust belt area.
Things age no matter of miles. Worth doing this:
Flush brake fluid.
Exchange coolant.
Exchange PS fluid.
Exchange Tranny fluid.
Change engine oil on the "time" schedule.
Low miles likely to have more rust issues in brakes, parking brakes and such.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I follow the ford recommended every three years fluids change and quarterly oil change. I agree with Scotty Kilmer who says there is no such thing as 'lifetime' auto fluids. He's kinda old so I trust him. I use Shell as it is supposed to have the highest percentage detergents to help keep injectors(remember carburetors?). It also runs better on Beach Boys or Marshall Tucker Band or Doobies....LoL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
davidrasch
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing