Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Taurus with the Duratec, 112500 miles, it's been in the family since new. Check engine light was on (P0171 & P0174 lean codes), turns out the PCV hose was collapsed. Changed out the PCV valve and hose, and the check engine light has been gone for 2 months now. Before the fix, the car idles around 800rpm in gear. Now it's about 550-600rpm (which seems low), and every now and then at stoplights it will dip to 500rpm, but never stalls. The idle is even lower when put into reverse. Changed the IAC, and no change. Two questions:

(1) The new IAC doesn't have a spring inside of it on the valve shaft like the old one that came off, is this spring necessary? Will it affect the IAC operation?

(2) I haven't disconnected the battery o relearn the idle (I drove it for several months with the lean codes, and it probably learned a messed-up fuel trim). Would this help?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In addition to the low idle, the gas mileage has dropped to about 17-18mpg from over 20mpg. Could a bad MAF cause it to overcompensate, and affect the idle? Other than low idle and bad mpg's, the car runs fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts