Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 99 SE has a very low idle. around 500 or less. i already cleaned out the IAC and the throttle body. i even unplugged the IAC and it has no effect which leaves me to believe it might be in wiring. i checked the voltage on the plug with the positive lead on the red wire and negative on the white i think it was. got around 28 volts AC. i got no ohm reading or DC reading.

i also have 2 codes p1507(IAC speed error) and p1504(IAC fault). because i unplugged it and it didnt stall i think the actual valve is fine. anyone else have any ideas? i also tired tapping on it and that didnt do anything.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Cleaning doesnt always work. Sometimes replacement is needed. If the coil has gone bad, replacement is definately needed. IAC is a 40 Hz PWM modulated solenoid..... a variable duty cycle 12 V signal is applied to the IAC, so there is no way you could have measured 28 ACV. A DCV measurement will give a variable voltage (due to meter averaging) of under 12 V. An oscilloscope is better, allowing you to see the waveform the PCM is supplying to the IAC.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay thanks. today i got them checked again and i also got a p0402 egr valve which im assuming might be because of the issue with the IAC. so do you think a new valve will be the first thing to do?

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
P0402 = excessive EGR flow detected. 99.9% chance the DPFE sensor has failed. VERY common Ford problem. Ford EGR valves themselves rarely fail. I assume the engine is running fine (no missing, good idle, etc). 402 can also be caused by a faulty EVR solenoid (leaking / sticking open), but that would result in a poorly running engine, especially at idle.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
im definatly going to try cleaning the EGR valve tomorrow.
There's nothing to clean really. If the car is idling smoothly, then the EGR is not sticking open. As Jeff K said, it's most likely the DPFE sensor. When you change the sensor check the attached hoses for rotting or breakage.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
There's nothing to clean really. If the car is idling smoothly, then the EGR is not sticking open. As Jeff K said, it's most likely the DPFE sensor. When you change the sensor check the attached hoses for rotting or breakage.

Agreed 100%. The problem is NOT the EGR valve, and cleaning it will do nothing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
wow thats fucking awesome. broke the egr pipe trying to get the valve off.

idles around 1500 now. is it safe to go get the new pipe somewhere?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts