Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help with this problem. I have a '01 Sable and the low coolant light is starting to come on. Not all the time, and the coolant tank is full. My mechanic says it's the sensor.

Does anyone know what this sensor looks like and where it's located?

Thanks for the help

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The replacement tank with sensor is not that expensive, compared to killing a heat sensitive aluminum engine without a working low coolant sensor. I'm assuming you have the 24v Duratec engine.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You can also pop the tank out and clean it up and get all the crud. The float is sticking.

And Dan, yea, only the Duratecs had the Low Coolant light warning at least from 00-early 03.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
That happened on my son's 01 tec too.
I carefully unbolted the still-attached tank and unplugged the sensor.
Do it carefully when pulling it off so you don't crack the tank.
Did it 2 months ago....so far, no problems.
My 03 SEL tec doesn't even have the sensor as Nick has mentioned.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The replacement tank with sensor is not that expensive, compared to killing a heat sensitive aluminum engine without a working low coolant sensor.
AMEN. +1. From RockAuto the duratec tank (Dorman brand) with sensor is $35 plus shipping. From the local Ford dealer (OEM brand with improved reinforcement of the hose nipples) it's $64 and that includes sensor and 8% tax. Replaced the tank on my '00 tec five years ago. Just replaced the tank on my '02 'tec. The float gets waterlogged and slowly starts sinking.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
You can also pop the tank out and clean it up and get all the crud. The float is sticking.

And Dan, yea, only the Duratecs had the Low Coolant light warning at least from 00-early 03.
My '96 LX has one Nick...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts