Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know if theres a retaining clip you have to depress or pull on the low coolant light plug at the bottom of the degasser tank? I can see and access the back half of the plug with long needle nose pliers if it pulls straight off. Trying to avoid pulling the tank to unplug. Tia. I think i fubared the sensor during my coolant flush procedure by continuously overflowing the degasser tank with hose water. Light remains on constantly.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Had that happen on my son's 01.

Yes, there is a clip on both sides of the plug IIRC, and I broke one side off disconnecting the plug.
The tank antifreeze level was fine, so I just disconnected the sensor under the tank and taped it up.

I always check the tank level, sensor or not.
The sensor was then discontinued in the 03 model year. :)

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Durasel, those sensors are integral to the tank and not individually replaceable, right?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yup that is correct sheila.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It's probably not your fault, they just go bad after a while.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sheila,
I have not verified this but, after the flush have you replaced the water with antifreeze yet? I was told the sensor float wont work properly in plain water. It is designed to float only in antifreeze. If it is in antifreeze then the sensor is bad as others have said, very common. Mine is unplugged too. Don't really need it because of dash guage.

Ed

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed, good to know because the cleaner/water mix is still in. I think ill wait til i refill with coolant before disconnecting.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ed, you da man!!! Refilled with fresh coolant mix tonite and after 1 key cycle, no more low coolant light! Its been on since the weekend. Float must be calibrated for an antifreeze mix. Thank you kind sir!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Durasel, those sensors are integral to the tank and not individually replaceable, right?
Actually there is integral float with small magnet that usually gets bad (air bubbles in the float that get soaked with coolant over time)
The sensor is external , after you disconnect the connector you can pull the sensor from the bottom of the tank.

Used to work for the suppler. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sheila,
I have not verified this but, after the flush have you replaced the water with antifreeze yet? I was told the sensor float wont work properly in plain water. It is designed to float only in antifreeze. If it is in antifreeze then the sensor is bad as others have said, very common. Mine is unplugged too. Don't really need it because of dash guage.

Ed
Not correct the float is plastic and will float in any liquid.The problem is air bubbles in the plastic that get filled with coolant over time and the float starts to sink.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oops! I spoke too soon. Low coolant light was back on in full force the next morning. Stayed on all day. Ill be disconnecting soon. Oh well...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sheila,
Sorry that info I gave you turned out wrong. I said I had not verified it, but I guess it was worth a try. And on the 1999 I know for a fact and have verified that the sensor is not replaceable. You have to change the whole tank.

Ed

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No problem, Ed. Live and learn. Easy to disconnect with long 90 degree needlenose pliers. Didnt have to pull the tank. I think gvk was saying the sensor itself is external and could be removed but that the problem is the integral plastic float gets water-logged.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No problem, Ed. Live and learn. Easy to disconnect with long 90 degree needlenose pliers. Didnt have to pull the tank. I think gvk was saying the sensor itself is external and could be removed but that the problem is the integral plastic float gets water-logged.
Yes that is correct.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Low coolant light - Long Post.

Okay guys here is what I have done. I bought a new Dorman expansion tank a while back for my sons car and had been waiting for a reason to drain his cooling systems to install it. Put it in and filled with premixed 50/50 antifreeze. All was good and my son went off happy. Came back later and said low coolant light back on. Went out and checked everything and coolant was fine. Disconnected the plug and light went out. I have been fighting this for a long time and said no way could four tanks be bad. I am OCD about have something work the way it is supposed to and just disconnecting the plug won't work for me. I had to figure this out. After reading about the sensor may also check the specific gravity I had to verify how it really worked. I took the old tank and cut in in half. Inside is a plastic tube with a plastic ring around it that has a magnet internally molded into it. ( I expected to find a cork or some type of porous type of material). Anyway I filled four cups, one with tap water, one with a little anti freeze and water, one with the 50/50 mix straight out of the jug, and finally one with the concentrated antifreeze that you have to mix yourself. I put the float in the plain water and it sank like a rock. Next cup it tried to float but stayed on the bottom. Next 50/50 premix and it floated but only barely. Straight anti freeze and it floated nice and strong. The conclusion from all this is that the low coolant light monitors not only the level of coolant but also verifies that your mix of antifreeze to water is correct. I am sure that some of the posts on here may of actually had a switch failure but I bet 90% of the low coolant lights are cause by the mixture of the antifreeze not being correct. That bothers me that the premixed solutions don't work right. I drained about a quart of my coolant and added straight anti freeze and my light is out and all is good. Sheila I bet the problem you had with your light will be fixed if you just replace about half of your expansion tank with straight antifreeze. Yeah I could have just unplugged it LOL.

Ed

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ed, sounds as if serves a dual purpose. Lets you know if the tank is too low or empty, and also works like 1 of those float ball testers. Yes, i refilled with premixed 50/50 which you think would satisfy it? Guess not. It must prefer a stronger cocktail, lol. Now, kinda wondering if those jugs of premix are actually 50/50? Or they dont always get properly rationed at the factory? Have to dig out my ball tester and check a jug.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thats exactly right Sheila. What I believe happened to yours was what happened to mine. After flushing the system and refilling with 50/50 premix it worked ok. After driving a few cycles the premix was diluted further by the water that remained in all the engine passages causing the float to sink and turning the light back on. I for one will not buy premix again.

Ed

1 - 20 of 33 Posts