Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone tried adding another switch in parallel with the existing low/high beams switch so both could be on at once? (gen 2 taurus)

I want to do this because it will let me see stuff laying in the road better while the high beams are on (instead of buying foglights). I am concerned about the bulbs overheating and burning out, and the current capacity of the relay. (everything in the circuit is stock)

Please let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
This has been discussed before, and the end result was that the harness can not handle the current flow, causing a possible fire issue and also less than full output.

It can be done but id recomend a heavy duty headlight harness. There cheap and avalible on ebay, etc.

Brad

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You would need a relay for each bulb and you would need to double the size of the ground wire on the bulb socket to 12ga wire. Connecting the wires directly to the bulb would have to be done too. Yes it will greatly reduce the life of the bulb.

AutoZone has fog lights cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I've been told the bulbs would blow/burn out within about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I was watching trucks the other day on spike TV and they mentioned a kit that would allow you to do this. Wish I would remember who made it, maybe you could find one for a truck and adapt it for you car.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Usually those kits are for vehicles with 4 headlights.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Summit Racing has headlight relay harnesses in their sport truck catalog....

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
You know, when you hit the flash to pass (pull towards you), both high and low are on simultaneously. Tho I've never had them on for extended periods of time, so I can't comment on the long term effects.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I used to wonder about this as well. For a long time I would drive with the lever pulled back towards me and have both high/low on like Racer X talked about. I don't think I ever held it for more than a couple of minutes though. It gets to be tiring after a while. Just buy some fogs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts