Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I flushed my heater core.. and I went to check the power steering fluid and it looked like chocolate milk.

I just disconnected the return hose and let it drain into a bucket. I turned the car on just for a few seconds to let it pump some out. I put about 2 new containers back in, its still looks like chocolate milk though and now the pump is really loud.

Is my pump pretty much fried now? and whats the best way to go about bleeding the entire system?

btw its a gen4 2000 Vulcan

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
What did you refill it with?

Ford's are supposed to use MerconV transmission fluid, if you put in generic power steering fluid, it can cause issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was generic but it was making the loud sound ever since i started to drain it. And I guarantee the new fluid i put in there was in WAY better shape then the grey creamy fluid that it had in there lol

I might just replace it with the one in my 95 Sable

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
You more then likely have air trapped in the system that hasn't been bled out. Also if you're fluid is that bad I'd suggest a flush of it. Basically you need2 or 3 liters to pour through the system. Unhook the rubber return line from the reservoir. Plug the nipple on the reservoir. Aim the return line downward into some sort of catch pail. I used a drain pan and a funnel to guide the fluid. Have someone with you to start the car. While the car is running, pour the clean fluid into the reservoir, this will go through the system. While pouring have someone turn the wheel to the left and then to the right. This will flush out the old fluid in the rack. DO NOT hold on the lock when turning the wheel. Once that is done, re-attach your return line, fill with fresh mercron fluid. Mercron III or higher is all you need on a Gen III. Then start the car the reservoir will empty more then likely, top it off if it does. Cut the wheels back and forth, again do not hold on the lock. Shut the car off and leave it sit for a bit, the tiny air bubbles will rise in the reservoir. Then repeat several times. It helps when bleeding air out of the system to take the weight of the car off of the wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks for the detailed write-up I will try that after work and I just picked up some Mercron V during lunch.

And it wont hurt the pump at all if it runs dry for a few minutes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts