Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay have 96 taurus dohc. Starting at 15 mph i get this loud humming noise from my right front wheel area. It really doesnt go away with turning the wheel either direction. Also at times it does not do it at all. But most of the time it is humming its head off. What I've done: I have jacked it up and wiggled the wheel and did not find any play. I wiggled the half shaft and it seemed to be alright also. I tried to spin the wheel by hand to reproduce the noise with little success. So i put it on jack stands and put it in drive and got it to continually make the noise, sounds like it is coming from behind the wheel or where the half shaft meets the transmission. I am guessing it is the hub bearing but I'm not sure. Would love your opinions!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
I agree with Dan..... wheel/hub bearing. Not too hard to DIY if it isnt corroded in too badly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Okay have 96 taurus dohc. Starting at 15 mph i get this loud humming noise from my right front wheel area. It really doesnt go away with turning the wheel either direction. Also at times it does not do it at all. But most of the time it is humming its head off. What I've done: I have jacked it up and wiggled the wheel and did not find any play. I wiggled the half shaft and it seemed to be alright also. I tried to spin the wheel by hand to reproduce the noise with little success. So i put it on jack stands and put it in drive and got it to continually make the noise, sounds like it is coming from behind the wheel or where the half shaft meets the transmission. I am guessing it is the hub bearing but I'm not sure. Would love your opinions!!!!!
I agree also, hub and bearing.

Just curious, How many miles on your hub/bearing ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually have 172000 on it, engine has 56k. I took it apart today and found one of the caliper pins stuck, got it out and smoothed it up and greased it. Resurfaced the pads a bit and put it back together. So far the noise has not come back. I'm not really sure why it went away, but I didn't think that was what a stuck pin sounded like??? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
The noise came back today, I noticed while I was in park with the engine running the rpm's went down to about 500 and I heard the noise. So maybe it is engine related after all. Any ideas?
Pop the serpentine belt off and check for play/noise if you haven't. It might be a bad idler or tensioner pulley. Might even be a bad waterpump bearing. Is the engine running rough?

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
430 is cat bank 2 efficiency code. Could the noise be the cat brick rattling around in the housing? 306 is cyl 6 missfire (driver side front). I doubt that has anything to do with the noise. 761 is a tranny code. I am too lazy to look it up, but I doubt it is the cause of the noise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2003 SES with 95K miles. Same symptom except humming comes and goes (30-35mph and 45-50mph). So I guess same solution with wheel bearing?

Is it necessary to replace the hub and bearing as one piece?

Thanks,
Alan

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I have a 2003 SES with 95K miles. Same symptom except humming comes and goes (30-35mph and 45-50mph). So I guess same solution with wheel bearing?

Is it necessary to replace the hub and bearing as one piece?

Thanks,
Alan
Yes, hub is bearing is hub.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.