Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a 96' Taurus GL with the 3.0 Vulcan 12V V6 engine. Most mornings recently upon cold start ups I have been getting a loud ticking noise coming from the engine. The engine sometime fails to start and I have to crank the engine over several times for it to fire up. The noise eventually tapers off after about 30sec-1min and never comes back until the next morning! (It is like the engine has to sit for about 8hrs+ for the noise to come back). The oil level is good, engine runs perfect when warm, and no engine codes are thrown. Some days it is louder than others almost to the point of it waking the neighbors :eek:. I have 2,000 miles on my oil change. Do you think worn out spark plugs would cause this? I am clueless.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Click or Knock

Hi all! I have a 96' Taurus GL with the 3.0 Vulcan 12V V6 engine. Most mornings recently upon cold start ups I have been getting a loud ticking noise coming from the engine. The engine sometime fails to start and I have to crank the engine over several times for it to fire up. The noise eventually tapers off after about 30sec-1min and never comes back until the next morning! (It is like the engine has to sit for about 8hrs+ for the noise to come back). The oil level is good, engine runs perfect when warm, and no engine codes are thrown. Some days it is louder than others almost to the point of it waking the neighbors :eek:. I have 2,000 miles on my oil change. Do you think worn out spark plugs would cause this? I am clueless.
Sounds like a valve lifter sticking.

Lifters make a 'tick" but it can be quite loud. It does not matter if it is in gear or not in gear.

A bearing will knock under load but likely not in "N".

Lifters are not a big issue as far as cost. Pull the intake, pull the valve covers and replace them all.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
What kind of oil filter are you using? I only use motorcraft, stp, or napa gold filters in my fords because of the anti-drainback valve is different than others and does not allow oil to drain back down to the pan. On the duratec I know the filter is angled down so that doesnt not apply, however I'm not sure of the position of the Vulcan filter. If I used any filter other than those 3 listed in my Tbird, it would chatter for a couple seconds till the oil pressure built up at a cold startup.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Knock

Purolator Pure 1 filters are the way to go.

That's all I've ever used, and I've never had any drain back problems or any other problems.

Did you use the correct weight oil??
Easy to check if it is late oil pressure. If the light goes out quickly and the knock is still there, It is not the filter. He said maybe 30 seconds. After oil change it only takes maybe 5 seconds to fill the system. Drainback would be less than 5 seconds.

And the Vulcan has the pump burried at the bottom of the oil pan. It is one of the fastest in the business due to location.

Brands of oil filters if off target here.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
He didn't mention a light so I'm gonna assume that's not an issue. So I'm with chartmaker. I don't think this is an oil pressure issue, based on the timing of the symptoms and no mention of a dash light.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Another possibility is an exhaust leak. Leaking manifold gasket, pipe donut, cracked manifold. They will seal up after the metal heats and expands, so you only hear it on cold startup. The lifter is possible too, but more often they get louder as the oil warms, similar to a bearing with excessive clearance. Of course never say never and always. Never. Always!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts