Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work on these cold mornings my taurus lets out a lot of steam. What does that mean about the mixture? Starting and going from each stoplight leaves the fellow behind me in a cloud, which is kind of cool, but I bet my mixture is wrong.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
well, i see white steam like smoke.. when i start in the morning.

actuall, the steam starts after like a min of idling. (when i stand out having the first smoke of the day..
)

I see even newer cars do that.. nothing is wrong i guess.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The steam is plentyful the second I start my car in the morning. I think I feel a need for a picture or movie comming on. Be sure to check back for that tomorrow.

Oh and hey. Quit smoking buddy! leave that to my car!

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's normal. Here in Minnesota I can drive for hours on the highway and still have steam come out of the exhaust.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, its probibly because of my short 5 min trip to and from work each day. Doesn't get all the water out of the exhaust system. I was just worried it meant my mixture was lean or rich.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If your car was running too lean or too rich then the emissions computer would throw on the 'check engine' light. During really cold days all that steamy exhaust freezes on the ground and we get that wonderful condition called black ice which is really fun to drive on.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Water is a byproduct of combustion. The more complete the combustion the more water there is. This is always happening but with the cold air you can see it better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts