Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does this sound like a bad headgasket at all??

flashing ses light and lots of belt squeel as well. and tons of condenation being blown out of the pipes, the rad hose that goes to the thermostat is rock hard as well with exhaust gasses it seems until i take the overflow tank lid off.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Stop running it and check your oil for the antifreeze. The antifreeze eats bearings like candy. Get the code read on the CEL. I use a $60 code reader that is enough for starting the track down of the problems. Head gaskets can be the death of your engine if not taken care of quickly, I am just sayin!!

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Does the exhaust smell like burnt sugar? Was the engine overheated? Duratecs are not known for HG problems. If it is a blown HG, it may be cheaper to get a low mileage replacement engine installed than to repair the current one. Duratec HGs are a royal PITA to do, and labor costs to have it repaired will be very hiigh.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Does the exhaust smell like burnt sugar? Was the engine overheated? Duratecs are not known for HG problems. If it is a blown HG, it may be cheaper to get a low mileage replacement engine installed than to repair the current one. Duratec HGs are a royal PITA to do, and labor costs to have it repaired will be very hiigh.

sorry had to update it is a 3.0 ffv engine in my 02 my 97 dohc did die on me just just got rid of that one.

want to get this one fixed though

engine was getting hot but turned if off before it reached red zone.

the really hard radiator hoses on cold startup is usally a head gasket from some research before, has anyone else seen that symptom?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Vulcan engines blow HGs if overheated. Most likely the rear head. Head is likely warped, so be sure to have it machined flat. Might as well do both banks while it is apart. HG repair on a Vulcan is 10x easier than on a Duratec.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vulcan engines blow HGs if overheated. Most likely the rear head. Head is likely warped, so be sure to have it machined flat. Might as well do both banks while it is apart. HG repair on a Vulcan is 10x easier than on a Duratec.

working on it now had 0 compression on the front right spark hole (others has 40) somewhat of a pain so far it looks like whole intake manifold has to come off just to get the front head off???

the front one is no fun so far cant imagine the rear is gonna be any easier

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WELL OF COURSE FIND THE PROBLEM AFTER HAVING TO TAKE BOTH HEADS OFF!!!

broken valve wtf.. smashed up plug as well not sure if better to but in new valve and gaskets or just get a rpl used motor with 59k for around $550 this motor had 117k on it.

either way gonna be a bitch have about 7 hours into tear down, so about 14 total if rpl gaskets and valve. might go back together quicker but who knows

1 - 7 of 7 Posts