Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just replaced the PS pump on my 2000 Vulcan. I am having 3 issues:

1- When the car is turned off, there is a squeaking noise when turning the steering wheel
2- When the car is turned on, there is a lot of noise near the PS pump/serpentine belt (even without turning the steering wheel).
3- when turning the car on, the power steering fluid goes down very fast making the P/S pump dry, so I have to add some. But when shutting down the car, the reservoir overfills.
It seems I have air in the system, but cannot figure out a way to get rid of it. I tried starting the car and steering the wheel from left to right around 20 times, but the PS fluid still overflown when I shat down the car.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
As a side note, when the ignition is on (but motor is off), the PS fluid level kept going up when I turn the steering wheel close the the lock positions. I kept doing that when the engine was off first and removed the excess of PS fluid. Not sure if this is expected or not.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
You have air trapped in the system. The air compresses and decreases in volume when the pump pressurizes the system. When you shut the pump off the air expands and pushes fluid out of the reservoir. You need to bleed the system by jacking front wheels off the ground and turn steering wheel from lock to lock position multiple times.

I had to return my replacement pump to Autozone after hours of trying to get rid of the noise and finally bought a Motorcraft one and five minutes it was quite.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have air trapped in the system. The air compresses and decreases in volume when the pump pressurizes the system. When you shut the pump off the air expands and pushes fluid out of the reservoir. You need to bleed the system by jacking front wheels off the ground and turn steering wheel from lock to lock position multiple times.

I had to return my replacement pump to Autozone after hours of trying to get rid of the noise and finally bought a Motorcraft one and five minutes it was quite.
Thanks. Should I do it while the car is running? I did it while it was running, probably around 10 times, but the reservoir still overflown. Maybe I have to do it more?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Squeaking noise during turning is probably dry tie rod ends or ball joints, nothing related to the PS pump. The easiest way to bleed these pumps, besides lifting the front end and going lock to lock like 50 times (never stay at lock more than a second), is to buy a mityvac and an adapter cap for ford power steering pumps. Then just pull a few inches of vacuum, start the car, and do the same as before, but you'll notice that it takes less than a minute this time before the system quiets down.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Squeaking noise during turning is probably dry tie rod ends or ball joints, nothing related to the PS pump. The easiest way to bleed these pumps, besides lifting the front end and going lock to lock like 50 times (never stay at lock more than a second), is to buy a mityvac and an adapter cap for ford power steering pumps. Then just pull a few inches of vacuum, start the car, and do the same as before, but you'll notice that it takes less than a minute this time before the system quiets down.
This is what I thought. But the noise appeared right after I changed my P/S pump today, so that would be an (unlucky) coincidence.
For the dry tie rods or ball joints, can I apply so lubricant to it to reduce the noise?
I do however also have the P/S that is very noisy, so there is also definitely air in the system.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
This is what I thought. But the noise appeared right after I changed my P/S pump today, so that would be an (unlucky) coincidence.
For the dry tie rods or ball joints, can I apply so lubricant to it to reduce the noise?
I do however also have the P/S that is very noisy, so there is also definitely air in the system.
You need a grease gun with a needle tip attachment since they are sealed boots with no grease fittings. But yes, you do definitely have air in the power steering system based on the symptoms. https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MITM...51-bdde-775e2ae28371&pd_rd_i=B015XUH31U&psc=1

That kit plus a hand pump mityvac will get you sorted if you don't want to spend tons of time messing with this.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need a grease gun with a needle tip attachment since they are sealed boots with no grease fittings. But yes, you do definitely have air in the power steering system based on the symptoms. https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MITM...51-bdde-775e2ae28371&pd_rd_i=B015XUH31U&psc=1

That kit plus a hand pump mityvac will get you sorted if you don't want to spend tons of time messing with this.
Thanks. I just ordered the kit + the vacuum. Will report back once I receive it and mess with it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Maybe try this: get as much fluid out of the pump reservoir as you can, then start the car. Wait a minute or so, then, with the car running, slowly add fluid to the reservoir in small amounts. (I've never done this, but it's what I'd try if I didn't know any better....)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is what I had to do to get mine fixed.
Mighty Vac and Power Steering Fluid Foaming

So I tried to bleed it this morning.
When using the mightvac pump and the overflow reservoir, the vacuum does not hold when pumping.
I tried with the engine off.
When only using the pump directly connected to the power steering cap adapter, the vacuum does not hold either but I could get some fluid and air bubbles in the hose by pumping really fast.
Is the vacuum not holding because of a leak? Or could it be because there is so much air in the system?

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you keep doing it and it never holds a vacuum you have a leak, and that is what is causing your air bubbling issue. Otherwise it would eventually hold. Should not take more than 10 mins to start seeing results.

EDIT: Also make sure that the vac and tubing is not leaking, or the adapter at the reservoir.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you keep doing it and it never holds a vacuum you have a leak, and that is what is causing your air bubbling issue. Otherwise it would eventually hold. Should not take more than 10 mins to start seeing results.

EDIT: Also make sure that the vac and tubing is not leaking, or the adapter at the reservoir.
Seems I have a leak indeed. I was able to go around 5 on the gauge, and some liquid got into the overflow reservoir with a lot of air, but after repeating this seevral times, I can never go above 5/6 on the gauge and it keeps dropping.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: Brought the car today to a garage. spent too much time swapping the P/S pump over the weekend.
Turns out the new PS pump from oreilly was leaking. The garage put a new one and everything works fine now.
Another bad experience with reman PS pumps.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
813 Posts
So this conversation spurred me to tackle my Grandsons noisy PS, I have never tried this before. I found an adapter I was unaware of in the brake bleeder kit I purchased a few years back, hooked it up to an AC vacuum pump an started suck the air out of his reservoir (car not running). Twice I stopped to check if anything was happening and the fluid level was decreasing. I continued for about 2-3 minutes and then topped off the system with fresh fluid and started the car. It was just as quiet as it was designed to be. Thanks for the ideas, and the inspiration.

·
Registered
11,961 Posts
So this conversation spurred me to tackle my Grandsons noisy PS, I have never tried this before. I found an adapter I was unaware of in the brake bleeder kit I purchased a few years back, hooked it up to an AC vacuum pump an started suck the air out of his reservoir (car not running). Twice I stopped to check if anything was happening and the fluid level was decreasing. I continued for about 2-3 minutes and then topped off the system with fresh fluid and started the car. It was just as quiet as it was designed to be. Thanks for the ideas, and the inspiration.
Trapped air in the oil is hard to get out. Last time I did that several years ago, I just sucked the fluid out and put fresh in, started the engine for couple seconds. Then sucked the fluid out and it had air in it. More new, repeat until no more air in the fluid. Now few years later, I have a "Mighty Vac and adapter. Never used it for that, but use it to bleed brakes.
Congrats for your work.
-chart-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts