Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I really need somebody to help me out here. Eventhough what i am about to say may be very comical, it isn't as now i have to sleep in the spare bedroom until i find my wedding ring.

On new years eve, my wedding ring fell into the air vent located on top the dash that blows directly to the drivers side window. Dont ask how it got in there, but it did...LOL

I am pretty sure i need to do a dashboard removal to get to it. I already tried to remove the radio using the "U brackets", the black trim around the odometer console, and the odometer itself. I was not able to really get to the heating "ductwork". I was not able to really reach around behind the odometer to do a good search.

Will removing the dash let me get to what i need to get to retrieve my wedding ring?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Oh man, you poor bastar*! I lost mine a long time ago stuffing insulation into the walls of a rented house. Never found it. Still married 21 years and counting. Anyway, yes, you have to disassemble/remove the dash until you find the ring. The bolts under the trim right at the windshield base and the 2 on each side under the trim make the whole dash come loose. Good luck!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I know that the vent you are talking about can come out. Have you tried removing that vent first? When I removed my dash, I accidentally popped that off. There are two tabs on the outer portion of the oval that secure it to the main dash.

At risk of breaking those off (you can always JB Weld them back on) pop that off. Then you can take a flash light and look down there.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Get a borescope and see if you can find where it is. It may be in an area where you can grab it with one of those claws that are on a flexible cable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
cut a flap in the duct work at lowest point and start fishing. Use electrical tape to reseal it.

This is the main reason I never take mine off... it may fall in a vent of a taurus like it happened to you. :p

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
You're not the first to do this, in fact on Car Talk on NPR 1/2/11 a gal called in, her hubby lost his wedding ring in the trim panel in front of the gauges! regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts