Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have lost the one and only ignition key I have for my bull.. :(

I have ofcause searched high and low, but it is nowhere to be found.

Due to limitations in donor cars here in Sweden I wounder what other US-Fords have the same type of ignition lock/keys? Can I use these parts from say, Windstar or Tunderbirds from the same era?

My Taurus is a 1995 car, so any suggestions would help. I have also, without success tried to find the keycode, but its also lost..

I think a picture says more than words about my sitiuation.. :sd:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, you have to throw the car away now. Just kidding. If you have a Ford dealer over there, they can make you a new key if they have your VIN Number. If there are no Ford dealers, maybe whatever kind of dealer you have over there can contact Ford and get you some new keys. Or you can have a whole new ignition switch put in. Not sure if the key will be right for the doors though. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went the eBay route instead, bought a ignitionlock and two keys for 29USD.. Then its only the small bit of installing the part whenever it arrives..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, got the replacement lock now.

Can anyone give me some advice on how I drill out the old one and install the new lock? All info I've found is based on the fact that one have the old key and can set the old lock in the right "extraction position". That I cannot do... :p

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Pick the lock. That's going to be the cleanest way. It's probably worn to the point where that'll be easy. If you have a thin enough screwdriver that can fit in the ignition, stick it all the way in. With pressure on the collar as if you were going to turn it to start the car, run the screwdriver across the top part of the inside of the ignition as you pull the screwdriver out. This should set the pins in the correct position to turn the ignition tumbler. It may take a few tries to get it working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have lost the one and only ignition key I have for my bull.. :(

I have ofcause searched high and low, but it is nowhere to be found.

Due to limitations in donor cars here in Sweden I wounder what other US-Fords have the same type of ignition lock/keys? Can I use these parts from say, Windstar or Tunderbirds from the same era?

My Taurus is a 1995 car, so any suggestions would help. I have also, without success tried to find the keycode, but its also lost..

I think a picture says more than words about my sitiuation.. :sd:
well you can also check this company AutoKey Squad: Lost Car Key Replacement Videos when i lost my key last month they saved my life!. had to be at work three hours later.:D just brillant!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.