Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the beach today and left my keys in my pants by accident in my friends jeep which has no doors... I thought nothing of it... when we got back my pants were gone along with my keys... This pisses me off cause not only did I lose my car keys, I lost my house keys, keys to work, and my flash drive. Now I only have the backup key and after searching about getting a new key it looks like Im in trouble since I need to have 2 keys to program a new key.... :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Someone please give me some good news as to what I can do cause I am not too happy right now.... :angryfire:

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Urgh. Fast fingers -- only bright side is you weren't in those pants when they glommed the keys...

Hopefully there are no identifying marks or information that could lead the perp to your door, or car.

You can get a PATS key blank on eBay for not much money, but as I understand it, only a Ford dealer or certain locksmiths with the right equipment will be able to program it after it's cut. And they'll charge for the service, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Hopefully they did not take anything that gives them your address?? :eek:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (duraSEL @ Apr 28 2009, 05:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721407
Hopefully they did not take anything that gives them your address?? :eek:[/b]
I had some classwork on there that has my name on it.... probably only a matter of time till they find me in the phone book... :angry:

I also called the 2 Ford / Lincoln Mercury dealers in my area

Tasca Lincoln Mercury said it would be around 100 dollars for JUST the key

and Flood Ford said it would be 76 for the key plus another 50 for the remote...

could a locksmith program a key for me to work?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Buy the key off of eBay. Considering your location, I bet you can find a reputable locksmith that can program 1 key for you cheaper than a dealer. Program any and all remotes yourself, you don't need a dealer/locksmith for that.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Apr 28 2009, 07:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721433
Buy the key off of eBay. Considering your location, I bet you can find a reputable locksmith that can program 1 key for you cheaper than a dealer. Program any and all remotes yourself, you don't need a dealer/locksmith for that.[/b]
That is good to know...

Does it have to be a 96-99 key or can it be a 00-05 sable key... they look better than the key i have now

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (Andrew L @ Apr 28 2009, 07:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721435
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Apr 28 2009, 07:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721433
Buy the key off of eBay. Considering your location, I bet you can find a reputable locksmith that can program 1 key for you cheaper than a dealer. Program any and all remotes yourself, you don't need a dealer/locksmith for that.[/b]
That is good to know...

Does it have to be a 96-99 key or can it be a 00-05 sable key... they look better than the key i have now
[/b][/quote]
I *believe* the PATS system is different on the 96-99 from the 00-05 key, but the remotes from a 98+ can be used. Course if the key is cheap enough, give it a try. If it doesn't work, you have a new backup key...just buy a proper 2nd one...get a 00-05 key to try out as your third key or something.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
You might want to change your house locks. ;)
The reprogramming of your new key will safeguard your car. :)

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
QUOTE (Andrew L @ Apr 28 2009, 06:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721412
QUOTE (duraSEL @ Apr 28 2009, 05:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721407
Hopefully they did not take anything that gives them your address?? :eek:[/b]
I had some classwork on there that has my name on it.... probably only a matter of time till they find me in the phone book... :angry:

I also called the 2 Ford / Lincoln Mercury dealers in my area

Tasca Lincoln Mercury said it would be around 100 dollars for JUST the key

and Flood Ford said it would be 76 for the key plus another 50 for the remote...

could a locksmith program a key for me to work?
[/b][/quote]
try the ace hardware in walpole mass. i know they program the keys and it takes seconds to do.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
QUOTE (Andrew L @ Apr 28 2009, 04:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721387
I went to the beach today and left my keys in my pants by accident in my friends jeep which has no doors... I thought nothing of it... when we got back my pants were gone along with my keys... This pisses me off cause not only did I lose my car keys, I lost my house keys, keys to work, and my flash drive. Now I only have the backup key and after searching about getting a new key it looks like Im in trouble since I need to have 2 keys to program a new key.... :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Someone please give me some good news as to what I can do cause I am not too happy right now.... :angryfire:[/b]
The cheapest way out is to probably buy a key on eBay. I think the chips are different so I think you need to stick with the 99 one. Once you have the key, get it cut at a local key place. Some people might balk at it because they don't want to ruin what they think is a $30-$40 key but it is probably only around $10 or so. Just go to another store that doesn't care. Call around to some of your local Ford dealerships and see what they say. I had mine done for about $40 because they only charged a 1/2 hour to do it and their hourly rate at the time was $80. Some other dealerships wanted an entire hour and some wanted to sell you the key also for another $40-$50. If the remotes are like the 2000-2005, you can program them yourself without having to take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I got 2 keys cut today for a reasonable price and ordered 2 remotes on ebay.... then I got a call from my friend Charlie telling me he found my old keys... :eek:

Turned out someone from our class earlier in the day saw my keys on the table and thought they were Charlies and put them in his bag. Today he heard what happened and told Charlie to check his bag... sure enough the keys were in there...

I got to school and got my old keys back and programmed it back into my car since the memory was wiped out

Now I have 4 keys for my car... does that count as a mod? :???:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts