Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, last week I noticed the temp gauge was bouncing up and down but never overheated. When I stopped and looked at the recovery tank coolant was spewing out of the cap. So I let it cool, took the cap off and filled it up with coolant with a new cap. Not Motorcraft, the parts store did not carry them.
The coolant has stopped escaping now.
The gauge is somewhat steady now with some fluctuation but not the wild swings.
Yesterday I stopped at a dealership to get the MC RS-527. When I put it on fluid came out of that but not with the Murray cap. Weird.
Its a Vulcan engine. Any idea what is happening? I am thinking T-stat next.

Kelly

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
OK, last week I noticed the temp gauge was bouncing up and down but never overheated. When I stopped and looked at the recovery tank coolant was spewing out of the cap. So I let it cool, took the cap off and filled it up with coolant with a new cap. Not Motorcraft, the parts store did not carry them.
The coolant has stopped escaping now.
The gauge is somewhat steady now with some fluctuation but not the wild swings.
Yesterday I stopped at a dealership to get the MC RS-527. When I put it on fluid came out of that but not with the Murray cap. Weird.
Its a Vulcan engine. Any idea what is happening? I am thinking T-stat next.

Kelly
If your cooling system is NOT holding pressure, it will boil over out the cap Get it nice and hot and shut it off. look and listen under the hood for any leaks. mine leaked at the T fitting on the heater core bypass. It will also do this if your head gasket is going south....

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
If your cooling system is NOT holding pressure, it will boil over out the cap Get it nice and hot and shut it off. look and listen under the hood for any leaks. mine leaked at the T fitting on the heater core bypass. It will also do this if your head gasket is going south....
I like to cold start the car and hard rev it for a few seconds, then shut it off and see if there's pressure. If she blows, you got big problems.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I like to cold start the car and hard rev it for a few seconds, then shut it off and see if there's pressure. If she blows, you got big problems.
Guess it depends on your definition of "big". I find cooling system repairs fairly easy and straight-forward, just did the $20 flex hose-in-lieu-of $160 dealer part repair on my 'Tec. Have done a few heater core replacements following the G3/G4 shortcut method. When my Essex blew a head gasket, I got rid of it after reading up on Essex head gaskets.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The system is holding pressure thank goodness. I did lose about a gallon or so of coolant so I may have a air pocket in the system.
Right now I am keeping a eye on the tank and the level.
I never rev a cold engine not at 15*F!!
AFAIK it is the original t-stat so changing it as PM is a good idea. what is the correct temp rating for the t-stat?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thermostat is 192. How do you know the system is holding pressure? Did you pressure test it? A bouncing temp gauge and coolant blowing out of the cap sounds like head gaskets to me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I tested it. It did not spew when the tester was on it with the car running. Put the old one on and out it came. Checked the oil and it is clean,
No more coolant loss now with new cap.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
The system is holding pressure thank goodness. I did lose about a gallon or so of coolant so I may have a air pocket in the system.
Right now I am keeping a eye on the tank and the level.
I never rev a cold engine not at 15*F!!
AFAIK it is the original t-stat so changing it as PM is a good idea. what is the correct temp rating for the t-stat?
Check out my thread about thermostats. stay away from the failsafe. Get a Motorcraft. OEM is 192 degrees. make sure it has a jiggle valve and that its at 12:00 index on install.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Maybe you do or did have a sizeable air pocket.
Is it not the purpose of the degass tank and its small return hoses to remove air from the system? As long as the system was holding pressure and did not have a bad head gasket how could he have a air bubble?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Correct. I was just trying to justify the fluctuating gauge. Thats why thermostat and water pump came to mind too.
When i was having issues with my 97 originally, those are the first things i checked, and changed. good preventative maintenance after 100K or before. i have not had a water pump impeller rust away, but have had them leak and wear the bearing eccentric where it makes a scraping noise. And now its only motorcraft thermostats for me. I pray thanks every day now that i have the heat back in my vulcan.. ;)

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Guess it depends on your definition of "big". I find cooling system repairs fairly easy and straight-forward, just did the $20 flex hose-in-lieu-of $160 dealer part repair on my 'Tec. Have done a few heater core replacements following the G3/G4 shortcut method. When my Essex blew a head gasket, I got rid of it after reading up on Essex head gaskets.
If your cooling system instantly pressurizes after a cold start and blows the cap off like it would hot, then it likely got that way because of the exhaust building up from a blown heat gasket. That's my idea of a big problem, I hate changing head gaskets. I'm pretty good at cooling system repair; I've done pretty much everything you could do with them, plus I know my way around A/C systems so I can fix anything there too.

I love the Essex engine, even with the head gasket problems.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I did some research and it is for air bubbles. I also found out that there are 2 caps by MC for this car, RS-527 and RS-103. This from RockAuto. Should it matter which one? Interesting, at fordparts.com it says it is rs-103, I may have the wrong one and may explain why the new RS527 let coolant out.
I will take it back and get the 103. The 527 even LOOKS different.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.