Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:angry:here goes, run car hot while back replaced the heads. in process when i got evrything back together, with new water pump, new idler and tensioner pulleys,new drive belt. noticed power steering whine after reassembling lines. typical air in steering! decided everything new replace power steering pump too. oh yeah 3.0 OHV. after assembling everything still cant burp the air. thought i might be pulling air in at the typical tie-rod end boot on passenger side. removed boot no power steering fluid in boot just grease on joints inside boot, actually looked rather new. so i've followed the purging air steps by jacking vehicle up, attaching vacuum, pulling -25" to turning steering side to side, still foaming up and puking. dont have a single leak nowhere except when it spews out steering reservoir. whats next to get whine out of steering pump?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
:angry:here goes, run car hot while back replaced the heads. in process when i got evrything back together, with new water pump, new idler and tensioner pulleys,new drive belt. noticed power steering whine after reassembling lines. typical air in steering! decided everything new replace power steering pump too. oh yeah 3.0 OHV. after assembling everything still cant burp the air. thought i might be pulling air in at the typical tie-rod end boot on passenger side. removed boot no power steering fluid in boot just grease on joints inside boot, actually looked rather new. so i've followed the purging air steps by jacking vehicle up, attaching vacuum, pulling -25" to turning steering side to side, still foaming up and puking. dont have a single leak nowhere except when it spews out steering reservoir. whats next to get whine out of steering pump?
If it continues to foam, you must still have a leak in there somewhere. These pumps are loud by nature, btw. The good old CII pump, they kinda suck.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
^^^^^ +1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im having the same problem. New rack, new pump, new power steering line. No leaks in the rack and the infamous loose bolt on pass side is tight. Flushed it a week ago and the pump was dead silent, I thought I had it fixed. Now a week later noisy again and more importantly its still foaming. I noticed that on inital start-up the pump is quiet and the reservoir flows smooth. But after a few minutes air gets in and the noise comes in and fluid will shoot out the reservoir(when the caps off with the engine running).
Im going to try some seafoam trans tune this weekend along with cleaning the reservoir and another flush. Hopefully this will seal up any pinholes I have in the system. I have no leaks other than a small amount of fluid coming from the cap when the cars off. Since the pressure fittings would noticably leak Id imagine that air is getting in one of the rubber lines/connections.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Im having the same problem. New rack, new pump, new power steering line. No leaks in the rack and the infamous loose bolt on pass side is tight. Flushed it a week ago and the pump was dead silent, I thought I had it fixed. Now a week later noisy again and more importantly its still foaming. I noticed that on inital start-up the pump is quiet and the reservoir flows smooth. But after a few minutes air gets in and the noise comes in and fluid will shoot out the reservoir(when the caps off with the engine running).
Im going to try some seafoam trans tune this weekend along with cleaning the reservoir and another flush. Hopefully this will seal up any pinholes I have in the system. I have no leaks other than a small amount of fluid coming from the cap when the cars off. Since the pressure fittings would noticably leak Id imagine that air is getting in one of the rubber lines/connections.
You'll probably have to locate the leak and fix it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your probably right about that. What sucks about that is that its probably a pinhole size leak thats letting air in because I have no visible fluid leaks. Ill have to double check all my rubber power steering hoses and connections and hopefully find the problem. If there are no visible leaks is there a simple way to find if I have a pinhole leak?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts