Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

lost 4th and gear dope is poring out. :(

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Jeff K 
#1 · (Edited)
Its a 1991 ,

I was in the interstate just got on, shifting around 6000 to maybe 6500 RPM, I left 4th and when into 5th with I heard a pop. that came from the car. About 1 min I was smelling the gear dope. as I was slowing down and tried to down-shift. no 4th . and was kinda hard to hit the other Gears.

I pulled over about 3miles after I heard the noise and Seen the Gear dope coming out, it was coming out like it had a hole the size of a dime or something like that.

Also I when I was turning in it was popping like the CV joints was bad. BUT was just replace.

I then drove it like 10 miles back to park it. and abour 1mile, you can start hearing the whine of the Trans losing the Gear dope.

NOTE: just last Tuesday I picked it up from the Shop, NEW Rear main seal, Front Main seal,Timing belt, water pump, crank sensor, all the top end Seal, Clutch Kit, throw out bearing, and the shop check the drain plug for any metal( it was Clean,) and replaced the Gear dope.

it will be back to him tomorrow. has less them 175 miles on it. and I know the warranty will not cover the transmission.

I might just start parting it out. its a 1991 SHO plus. :huh:

See less See more
#5 ·
Its a 1991 ,
shifting around 6000 to maybe 6500 RPM,
... has less them 175 miles on it.
... its a 1991 SHO plus. :huh:
So, you have a 20 year old car, with 175k miles on the transmission and engine. Probably leaking transmission fluid everywhere for a while (the seals that shop said need replacement) and never checked the fluid level - probably transmission case was bone-dry by now. With that said, you are redlining it at 6500 rpm.

Wonder why the differential blew in pices??? Hmmm...

#6 ·
He said they just replaced the transmission fluid and only had 175 miles on the work.

The diff pin does tend to shoot out, even with normal driving.

and the shop check the drain plug for any metal( it was Clean,) and replaced the Gear dope.

it will be back to him tomorrow. has less them 175 miles on it. and I know the warranty will not cover the transmission.

#8 · (Edited)
LOL I called the Tranny shop, he said might split the case and might be able to half a case cheaper.

Poor abused car. ? it popped at 110mhp its just a thing when you own a older car it became the bank. taking all the money.

I did find a 1994 SHO Auto need brake work, and other miner thing done to it for $800, and I now have a Parts car (My 1991) if I buy it. LOL

#9 · (Edited)
Poor abused car. ? it popped at 110mhp its just a thing when you own a older car it became the bank.
So it's not abused? 110mph (at 6500 rpm in 4th gear I think it was more), in a 20 year old car with 175k miles?
If you really cared about the money you woldn't try to drive it like you are on NASCAR or quarter mile launch pad.
Safety, responsability on public roads? Who cares?

Some people...

#13 ·
Well said. :D

There is NO reason to rev any car anywhere near 6000 RPM.

That IS abuse in my opinion.

I laugh when I see the Hondas on the side of the road...you know you're redlining it and blowing things up. I like to say "V-Tec just kicked in!"

I worked with a young guy who went through 2 Civics in the short time I knew him...blowing transmissions, cracked a block, always leaking oil...yeah...Honda quality!

The Taurus is a family car, like it or not. It's not a race car. Drive it like one and it will fail, just as any other car.

#12 ·
I dont drive crazy, at all, My work is part driving and if I get a ticket for speeding too fast over the speed limit I will lose my job.

I was being sarcastic when I said 110 in 4th, it was 60-65mhp with i shifted to 5th,

its at the shop now, and he said he replaced the differential in other taurus, and most of the time when it pop/brakes, it cracks the case,. He will look but he said the last one he bought was $250 and he rebuilt it, he will look, let me know in a few days,

#14 ·
I think any car that does "110mhp" (or does it have 110 million horsepower?) should be equipped with the right kind of gear dope. What happened was, the shop used the wrong dope which almost always causes catastrophic failure of 4th gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.