Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there! i just notice/feel some loss of power of my bull after changing my oil into 10w-40(semi syn). last time i used 5w-30(regular). i just did the usual tune up, clean air filter, pcv, plugs, and some fuel treatment.
is this kind of oil causing poor performance?!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
What plugs did you put in? Was it gapped properly? Are the boots connect right?

With my car...it reacts differently if i use anything other than 10w-30.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Seems doubtful that such a mild change in viscosity would make a noticeable difference. If you had filled up with SAE 250 gear oil, yes, but not 10w-40, unless your ambient temp has gone below 0.

Try tracing the joints of all your changes for air / vacuum leaks (for example, the pipe from the PCV valve to the intake, the rubber accordion between filter box and throttle body, etc.

Did you use a torque wrench on the plugs? If not, are you 100% sure that all of them are fully inserted?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Oil is not the suspect. First choice would be the plugs. What kind did you put in?

As stated earlier, check and make sure you did not disconnect or damage any hoses.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (ZZman @ May 7 2009, 05:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723448
Oil is not the suspect. First choice would be the plugs. What kind did you put in?

As stated earlier, check and make sure you did not disconnect or damage any hoses.[/b]
i just clean the old plugs and put back in. all the hoses are all fine! the only thing i changes is the oil! it strange! should i put back the 5w-30?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would not waste good oil. But in 3,000 miles change back to 5W30. Then you can see if there is a noticeable difference and you can post your experiences here. MPG would be a good bit of info between the two weights of oil.

·
Registered
84 Posts
that oil is too thick.. also check if you overfilled it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Blacksable @ May 10 2009, 08:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724035
I would not waste good oil. But in 3,000 miles change back to 5W30. Then you can see if there is a noticeable difference and you can post your experiences here. MPG would be a good bit of info between the two weights of oil.[/b]
i just replace my pcv valve and the hose into it. but still i dont gain same power than before. i will maybe change the plugs( if my budget permits) :D will use the oil for 2 months or 3k miles which ever come first. and will put back 5w30 and additional new plugs. actually i already used the 10w30 and didnt feel strange like this. maybe my bull didnt like the 40wt oil. wat do you think guyz for this kind of oil. and i heard that BMW prepared to used this 40wt oil. maybe it depend on engine design.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The weight of the oil is not going to affect the HP output of your engine to any extent that you can measure.

The proper oil weight is determined by the outside temperature where you operate your car. 30 weight oil is only good for operating where the outside temperature is lower than 90F. Go to some oil manufacturer websites to see this is true.

Ford Specs lower weight oil, becuase the thinner oil, gains, a fraction of a mile per gallon. You can't even measure the saving in several tanks of gas. BUT, you will cause more wear to your engine. Ford does not care, because they can sell more gashog, higher profit SUVs and pickup trucks by getting higher MPG ratings on cars and trucks.

You may have knocked something loose (wires or vacuum lines, or cracked a hose) when you serviced your car. If I were you, I'd go back under the hood and check everthing for disconnected hoses, or wires or damage.

And how many miles are on your spark plugs? While they will function with over 50K miles, they definitely won't perform as well? When you had the plugs out, did you check the gap? Maybe you damaged a electrode when you were in there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes it is the plugs :thumb: just replace w/ new yesterday, and the response seems quit good (feel the rush), and notice the bull is not angry anymore in 1-2-3 shift. sound calm,..
thanks for bringing back my bull. bwaaaaaaaaah

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Blacksable @ May 7 2009, 11:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723467
Why did you put a 40 wt oil in there? 5W30 year round should be fine. The oil maybe a contributor if not the only one.[/b]
Not true. Also, in hotter climates it does the car good especially if you live in the desert like i used to.

Essentially, if you run a 0w-40 oil, at 0 Degrees your oil will flow like a 0 weight, at 40 degrees like a 5w, and at 140 degrees like a 40 weight. ETC.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (Blacksable @ May 13 2009, 09:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724785
So the oil gets thicker as the temperature rises?? I think you have it backwards.[/b]
He's got it right.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0wTiGWy9aik"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0wTiGWy9aik" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (Blacksable @ May 13 2009, 08:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724785
So the oil gets thicker as the temperature rises?? I think you have it backwards.[/b]
It actually doesn't get thicker, it still thins out, but it thins out slower. 40 weight at 210 degrees F is thinner than 10 weight at 0 F. They put additives in the 10 weight oil so it acts like 40 weight does when 40 weight is at 210 F instead of how 10 weight does at 210 F. Hope that makes sense.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts