Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the post below this about I think I need a new alternater. someone had said that a normal alt on our bulls was 160V core? Or something like that? How much would the 220 cost. Because I put my subs and amp in about 2 weeks ago and all of my accessories are just dying. Last night for example, my whole dash clipped out, before this I was just losing power steering here and there, I would lose my heater for a sec...But it got bad...So if anybody has any Ideas if it's truly my alt or if it's just my battery?

·
Registered
64 Posts
what kind of amps do you have that are pulling enough juice to do that? i had a 1000 watt zapco with a 10w7 hooked up with my stock alt, and it had some slight dimming, but nothing nearly as serious as what you are talking about. first thing you need to do is upgrade the three wires talked about in the other thread.
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ultimateb...ic;f=5;t=007801

check that link out.

and i believe prices are quoted for HO alts in that thread that you mentioned as well. the 220a is $339.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what I'm pushing through is in my signature...nothing big at all, just a small 200a1 rockford Fosgate Amp with 2x12's 400w each...but like I said it took about 2 or 3 weeks for the effects to actually start happening....which is y it's leading me to my alt as the problem?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Doesn't sound like a bad alternator. More like a short. Your stock alt. has enough power to run your amp. I would recommend replacing the three wires that were stated in the article that snyper posted. If it was an alternator, your lights and everything would slowly dim all together, then your battery would finally die, and the car wouldn't start.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Hmm lemme think, perhaps you have a problem with one of your belts slipping? Since you mention that your power steering goes everyonce in a while, that has nothing do with voltage.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I went to autozone and the guy was a tool...he had no idea what the normal stats for smaller engine cars were...So I said whatever but he ran the test either way...my peak volts at 2000rpm was 77.46v and my battery test ran a 9.4v so somebody talk to me..I have no idea about electricity and my ride?

I know the battery is low...so who knows...if either of them were bad I figured I would go with a optima battery..and the 200 core alt..but thats alotta money..

oh something else my ride died while he was running the test...another reason to lead me to the fact that my alt is dying...

also on the power steering..I just got my serpintine belt replaced less than 4 months ago...

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
You don't need a bigger alternator. It is more than enough to run that.

I'd say if the battery's only at 9.4v it is on the bends.

·
Registered
64 Posts
sounds like an alternator problem to me. your peak amperage was 77.6 amps, when i had my alt tested, it was at 150. whats hapening is your alt isnt producing enough to keep your car and your accesories going. your battery is at 9.4 volts because the alt isnt able to charge it, so your battery is taking all the burden, and its showing in its 9.4 volt output. a bettery with the car running should be anywhere from 12-14. replcae that alt asap. but you do NOT need a 200 amp alt for such a small amp.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I had my batt. checked twice by autozone when I thought it was going out, and they told me both times that it was fine. two days after the second test, the car died. Went to sears - needed new battery. DOn't listen to a thing those morons say, unless you happen upon someone who works there who actually has held a wrench in their hands before. Get a new battery, or at least go somewhere else and get it tested, like sears.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I'm going off of what the meter said not what they say...cause like I said that guy who checked my car was a moron. but since I unplugged the fuse from my amp nothing has been happening at all...

The car has been running just like it should. So I'm kinda confused. Just wish I knew more about electricity with cars.

I'm thinking about going and getting a optima battery and calling it quits right there...if that is truly the problem.. If it's not then time for a new alternater as well...My car is 5 years old still running on the alt that I got when the car was purchased in 97.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yeah i have gmc 1993 4.3 liter truck sierri when two audiobahn's 12" subs 400 rms each with 1200 watt sony amp i don't even have a fuse holder in the middle of the postive cause it melted it away wasn't giveing enough power to even run it but now when im idleing at lights i have my front lights on the bass goes real hard the front lights dime to the bass i couldn't figure out how much my stock alternator was puting out cause i was thinking new one and puting big 3 wire's! just wanted to see what yall thought first! :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts