Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently purchased a 2001 Taurus SE 3.0 Vulcan. This is my first Taurus and i love it, great on gas and space. When the car is cold it has sort of a choppy acceleration at 35-40mph, and when warm it acts as it wants to back down on power around 70-80 MPH and 2-2500 RPMs. The action is not constant or consistent, the tranny shifts fine
1st - 3rd, the transition from 3-4 is rough just because it seems like it shifts too quick. It does not leak anywhere, i flushed the tranny and fluid was a good color, the plugs are good and i dont hear any vaccum leaks anywhere. The car had a CEL on when I bought it and the codes were for the EGR, I vaccum tested the EGR and it was fine, so I replaced both the sensors for it and my light went away. It doesnt feel like a transmission issue and it has not thrown any codes after i fixed the EGR problem, any suggestions or expirience is greatly apprciated, thank you in advance, Eden.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've always had choppy accel since my 99 had 20k miles on it 100k miles ago at some load and certain throttle settings, i had EGR problems and fixed it too and still can't track it down after replacing most everything related to that.

As far as power goes you only have about 150 hp at the flywheel anyways, so if your used to something more powerful you may just be experienced the lack of power the engine inherently has.

Don't get me wrong its much easier to drive with the v6 torque than some little Saturn with a little 4 banger but it might just be your perception fooling you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i definitely know it lacks power compared to my current and past cars, the problem does not appear to be detrimental to anything, its probably more of a problem that i cant figure it out and it bugs me, im sure you know how that is. thanks for the insight, maybe its a common problem seeing as yours acts the same. thanks again, eden

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i actually believe i have traced the problem to my A/C, it only bucks and loses power/shuddering (almost like a clogged injector) when my a/c is on. i did a fuel treatment, replaced the coil and wires, as well as all other egr sensor and solenoid, so my CEL is not on. when i drive it without it on there is no problems, this is the first time i have encountered something like this, when the a/c is on my compressor is also super loud compared to my previous cars (making a valve tick like sound) any similar problems or fixes? maybe point me in the right direction, thank you, eden

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
i actually believe i have traced the problem to my A/C, it only bucks and loses power/shuddering (almost like a clogged injector) when my a/c is on. i did a fuel treatment, replaced the coil and wires, as well as all other egr sensor and solenoid, so my CEL is not on. when i drive it without it on there is no problems, this is the first time i have encountered something like this, when the a/c is on my compressor is also super loud compared to my previous cars (making a valve tick like sound) any similar problems or fixes? maybe point me in the right direction, thank you, eden
You can get the belt off and spin the compressor by hand to check for resistance/bearing wear. But I bet you still have an ignition problem thats only showing up under the load of the A/C.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts