Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happens the first time it drops below 2000 rpms after start, then I hit the highway and within a couple miles the heat comes back, my theory is its something with the water pump (possibly the fins on the impellor have worn down).

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
First, I'd check to see if the heater core is plugged, a common problem. After the engine's warmed up and idling (and the heat has sunk to cool-ish), touch the pipes into and out of the heater. If one side is hot and the other cold, you need to backflush the heater core.

If it's free-flowing, one quick check would be via the coolant return line at the top of the de-gas bottle. Pull that off, run the engine, and if the flow is strong at idle, your water pump is likely to be OK.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (OldWagon @ Mar 16 2009, 10:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709163
First, I'd check to see if the heater core is plugged, a common problem. After the engine's warmed up and idling (and the heat has sunk to cool-ish), touch the pipes into and out of the heater. If one side is hot and the other cold, you need to backflush the heater core.

If it's free-flowing, one quick check would be via the coolant return line at the top of the de-gas bottle. Pull that off, run the engine, and if the flow is strong at idle, your water pump is likely to be OK.[/b]
Not heater core, I have dealt with the heater core already in past years, clogged heater core = no heat what so ever, I get heat a few seconds after start up, then it goes away when I stop at a stop light, then it comes back after a bit of running it at 2000 rpms, I replaced the thermostat last month and had heat immediately.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
fantom blu -- Re: the ecomodder banner in your signature, what mods did you perform to increase mileage?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (OldWagon @ Mar 17 2009, 08:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709534
fantom blu -- Re: the ecomodder banner in your signature, what mods did you perform to increase mileage?[/b]
No mods on her, and I havent updated that thing since before the ice storm, that storm screwed me up on keeping track of my gas, also its mostly on highway miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts