·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess this would not apply to my daughter's because she has the regular 3.0 engine.

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
Leaking intake gaskets / head gaskets? Pull the plugs and look for signs of coolant (greenish tint, 1 or more plugs real clean compared to the others).

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Maybe the plumbing to the heater core rusted out? They use steel pipes for the back of the engine bay area, make sure they don't have rust on the outside and that they don't ooze out coolant once it gets warm. Mine leaked really badly from that area. How fast is it loosing the coolant?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Maybe the plumbing to the heater core rusted out? They use steel pipes for the back of the engine bay area, make sure they don't have rust on the outside and that they don't ooze out coolant once it gets warm. Mine leaked really badly from that area. How fast is it loosing the coolant?
Here's a few pics from when I changed mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
My daughter's 2001 Taurus just had the heater core replaced. Now she is losing coolant still. Was pressure tested and no issues.

She lives in another state so dad is no help here.

I saw this on another site. 2001 Taurus 3.0 DOHC losing coolant - Ford Forums Online - Ford Discussion & Enthusiast Forum

I wonder if this might be it. Is this common?

I also told her she might try a new coolant tank cap. (tank replaced a few years ago)
many things can leak in a taurus. First thing to always check is for a cracked degass tank. Even though is was already replaced, you need to
take it off and inspect the bottom for cracks. with the car hot, shut it
off and listen under the hood for hissing noises. I have had the plastic
joint on the heater bypass hoses weep a small stream of coolant before.
Broke it off and replaced it with a conventional 5/8 hose T fitting. I have
had radiator plastic side tanks crack and leak under pressure also.

The metal hoses on the heater hoses can rust, rot and leak.

The 3.0 in latter editions can blow head gaskets and leak. Do you smell sweet smells out the exhaust? see white smoke sometimes when
starting up? Missing when first started up? all symptoms of head-gasket failure. It may come and go until it completely lets go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No heat issues. I had the tranny out and noticed its condition, so I replaced it.
how did you get the hose that wraps around on the drivers side out?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
how did you get the hose that wraps around on the drivers side out?
I can't really remember how it went when I did it, but it was the hardest part of getting it out. I think I pulled the hose back towards the passenger side, I think there might be a T in the pipes around there you need to disconnect too, can't remember exactly but you should be able to see how it comes out once you start. When I took the one from the car at the wreckers, I used a saw to cut whatever was stopping the hose from coming out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got finished back flushing the heater core and now the heat blows hotter than a stolen television. But now I have a leak at the ferrule on the return side of the core. plus a pinhole in the pipe itself. Does anyone have a stop gap to correct this till the funds and time become available to replace it? For those of you who have replaced this hose, how big a PITA is it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
are you talking a leak in the heater core pipe itself, the long crossover pipe, or
the heater core bypass if you have one?

If you talking about the long across the firewall pipe, get a long piece of heater hose
and two union hose barbs and four new screw on clamps and replace it with heater hose. That should cost less than $20.

If your talking about leaking T fitting on the heater core bypass, remove the hoses
from the molded on T fitting on the passenger side and remove all traces of plastic
inside the hoses. Then put a T fitting on the existing hoses and clamp down
with hose clamps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you, I figured it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts