Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't be able to take my car into a shop until next week but I'm trying to diagnose what's wrong with my '94 3.8L. The other day my brake pedal started dropping to the floor. I put fluid in and not long after my brake light came back on. I got underneath the car and saw that it was all wet by the rear passenger tire like something had been spraying the brake fluid. It didn't appear that any brake lines were busted. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Stick your head under there (wear safety glasses / goggles so you dont get sprayed in your eyes by brake fluid) and have a helper step on the brake and see where the leak is. Could be a hard line, flex hose, or a leaking wheel cylinder. Should be easy to diagnose and fix.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Stick your head under there (wear safety glasses / goggles so you dont get sprayed in your eyes by brake fluid) and have a helper step on the brake and see where the leak is. Could be a hard line, flex hose, or a leaking wheel cylinder. Should be easy to diagnose and fix.
+1^ A leak in the brake hydraulics can be so small that sometimes you can't see it with the naked eye unless it is spraying out while you are looking for it. Also very possibly a leaking wheel cylinder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the inside of the tire is wet and has streaks around it most likely you have a leaking wheel cylinder. Wheels cylinders leak into the brake drum then onto the insdie of the tire and looks like you put tire treatment on then went driving without spreading the treatment onto the tire.

·
Registered
50 Posts
that happened to me this past summer. I took it to a shop to get pads and shoes and they totally messed up my braking system. I started to hear grinding and my pedal seemed to get lower and lower. Well one day after work i got into car and it DID NOT STOP. Luckily i was in the parking lot when i started the car but i was pissed. Had to drive with my e brake on about a mile away to the ntb near my job. They charged like 400 but i HAD to et it fixed. Luckily it was pay day

1 - 6 of 6 Posts