Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i flushed my power steering system with prestone ps fluid and the turkey baster method then finally started running Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in the system i just checked my level again and noticed its on the end of the stick on the "FULL COLD" while its hot. I had to add a little fluid.

I am wondering where the fluid is going.....I don't notice any leaks but its new synthetic fluid so maybe its escaping somewhere? I noticed more oil burning when i stopped using Motorcraft engine oil and started using Mobil 1 5w-30 awhile back but that stuff burns off, where is the PS fluid going if its not leaking?

·
Registered
23,479 Posts
Maybe it had a little air in the system giving you a false full reading and finally burped out? Just hope its not loading up your end boots. I know ill get flamed, but in the past ive used with success that clear bottle No Leak power steering formula found @ walmart or parts stores for $5-7. Good luck.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think i will go with air in the system, that makes me feel better. As for the fluid, only mercon V or synthetic ATF is going in the system. If there is a bigger problem i will fix it when it becomes more apparent.

If anyone else knows where it really might be going, shoot me your ideas.

·
Registered
23,479 Posts
Not trying to sway you, but No Leak is from pure synthetic stock. That is why its kinda pricey. You could pull back the rack end bellows and see if they leak or wait. In due time they will on their own if indeed theyre loading up. If this is the case, there was a past thread about tightening a nut on the pass. end of the rack that i assume snugs up a seal.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got any pictures of what i should be looking for down there? Not really sure what to see in the bay

·
Registered
152 Posts
As I understand, not much, that synthetic fluids have smaller molecules and therefore get past gaskets much easier. I would suspect that while you're driving some is passing through the power steering pumps seals that's why you see nothig and have no leak while not under pressure.
Anything used to stop leaks in any situation is snake oil and not a fix.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The turkey baster method is not a flush. So you still have plenty of the old stuff in the system. The best way to flush, is to unplug the hose that feeds to the reservoir and then turn on the car and keep adding fluid till the new stuff comes out.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think i have too much old stuff in the system. Its been turkey basted over thousands of miles with 64 oz of fluid. I think it will be fine either way, most people never even do anything but top off their ps fluid and never have any issues and i am running clean mobil 1 in it.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Just saying there is a way to get it done in a day and get it done right. Also doing this method takes around a gallon of fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts