Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an unusual issue. I have an 04 Ford Taurus with a mild lop. When i start the car initially in the morning it does its normal thing till it idles back down to normal rpm. Then it starts to lop. Almost of if the Idle Air controller sensor or whatever it correctly is named sounds as if it is either dirty or just simple bad. Is there anyway to check if it is faulty or could it be something else? Car drives perfectly just when i come to a stop it does it then goes away after about 5-10 sec or at idle in park.

What could it be? Can it be tessted before i dump money into replacing sensors that will only cost me and not fix it, not to mention the fact that i have to order from the states, so factor in a week or so of wait time.

Thank You

·
Registered
671 Posts
This sounds like a similar issue to what I have been dealing with since I have had my car. I think the "lopping" comes from the ECM adding fuel to compensate as there is a vacuum leak. I will occasionally get a CEL for P02196 ir P02198.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Take it off, and shoot some carb cleaner in it, let it sit and it should a good bit of the build-up. Like cleaning a throttle body. That's what we did with mine, anyway, and it cured my issue. Was running at 2500rpm nonstop.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take it off, and shoot some carb cleaner in it, let it sit and it should a good bit of the build-up. Like cleaning a throttle body. That's what we did with mine, anyway, and it cured my issue. Was running at 2500rpm nonstop.

Mine doesnt run that high just when im a idle(just under 1g) the idle will drop to bout 700rpm and then back up for about 5-10 secs. then will stop and idle normal.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Hmm.... then, MAF? Might be the next place to look. I believe you can clean those, too, on our cars. Auto part stores will have MAF cleaner, you could try that. Could also be a vacuum leak, or simply a bad sensor. Kinda hard to say. How does it act under heavy acceleration?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm.... then, MAF? Might be the next place to look. I believe you can clean those, too, on our cars. Auto part stores will have MAF cleaner, you could try that. Could also be a vacuum leak, or simply a bad sensor. Kinda hard to say. How does it act under heavy acceleration?

It drives perfect. I know i have a check engine light on due to MAF all because of aftermarketCAI, but i have had that intake for almost a year and its never had issues. I can unplug the MAF and it till run fine. Might burn alittle more or alittle less fuel but nothing has changed in the driving of the vehicle at speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts