Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my car has been have to crank A LOT to start. It usually takes 3 or 4 tries if I just turn the key on and try to start.

And if I keep holding the key in start on the first try the engine just kinda sputters but won't run faster than the starter motor turns.

Turning the key on and off 4 or 5 times will help it start on the first try, but it still misfires pretty bad for a minute or two.

When it does start, it runs kinda crappy and I can hear a bit of a ticking noise.

The ticking noise does not sound like typical vulcan top end noise and goes away after a minute or two ... when it goes away, the car runs fine. Now I can hear a little valve noise on this car ... it's always done it. Let me make it clear, this is a different noise.

If I run it wide open up a hill before shutting it off, it usually starts fine the next morning and does not make the ticking noise.

I scanned the codes at an autozone hoping to get a misfire code to figure out which cylinder it is having the problem ... nothing. The guy at autozone says I dropped a valve and need to rebuild the engine!? WTF!? Dropped valves dont get better once the car is warmed up.

Anyway, anyone think this is an injector?

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
You don't need a rebuilt, the guy at autozone doesn't have a clue. Get a fuel pressure gauge on your car and watch it. If you can't get one yourself, you may need to leave the car sit at a garage for the night to duplicate this problem. Another thing, if you cycle the key on and off several times before cranking does it make a difference? It sounds as if the pump is having a hard time building up pressure.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
QUOTE (the_intimidator_02 @ Mar 4 2009, 12:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705366
You don't need a rebuilt, the guy at autozone doesn't have a clue. Get a fuel pressure gauge on your car and watch it. If you can't get one yourself, you may need to leave the car sit at a garage for the night to duplicate this problem. Another thing, if you cycle the key on and off several times before cranking does it make a difference? It sounds as if the pump is having a hard time building up pressure.[/b]

^^^^^ +1

Sounds like either the FPR is leaking down or the check valve in the fuel pump is leaking. A FP gauge is the only way to get a handle on what is going on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts