Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
2000 Vulcan. While preparing to do a Clinton flush, I happed upon a loose ground wire (see photo). It's attached to the firewall on the passenger side. It was dangling down between the wheel well and heat shield, as far as I recall, when I pulled it up. Any idea where it should be attached? It doesn't look like it's been attached to anything for a while. I had the timing cover/water pump replaced about 3 years ago. Could it have possibly not been put back where it belonged then? What's been the harm of it not being attached? The car has run perfectly fine all this time.

I found two other thread pertaining to this wire I think, but I still need some clarity

https://www.taurusclub.com/threads/ground-wire.293873/#post-3048545
Automender says "Does it go by the timing cover bolt around the sheet metal heat shield? " I might have a hard time finding that.

Consensus is that it attaches to the water pump but it's not clear which bolt. And again, how necessary is this?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I see the timing cover/heat shield bolt... it's easy to get to. Also there are several water pump bolts but there's no telling which one it might belong on. I really don't think this thing has just popped off something recently. In fact, it's probably been off at least since the timing cover work. Any advice what I should do with it now?

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Hey all,
2000 Vulcan. While preparing to do a Clinton flush, I happed upon a loose ground wire (see photo). It's attached to the firewall on the passenger side. It was dangling down between the wheel well and heat shield, as far as I recall, when I pulled it up. Any idea where it should be attached? It doesn't look like it's been attached to anything for a while. I had the timing cover/water pump replaced about 3 years ago. Could it have possibly not been put back where it belonged then? What's been the harm of it not being attached? The car has run perfectly fine all this time.

I found two other thread pertaining to this wire I think, but I still need some clarity

https://www.taurusclub.com/threads/ground-wire.293873/#post-3048545
Automender says "Does it go by the timing cover bolt around the sheet metal heat shield? " I might have a hard time finding that.

Consensus is that it attaches to the water pump but it's not clear which bolt. And again, how necessary is this?

Thank you for any help you can provide! View attachment 215235
That is called the "ground strap". It is critical. Bolts to the engine block anywhere. It carries the negative side current of the alternator to the car body, and at the top makes the PCM ground the same as the engine. I never had one off and not had a Vulcan in years.

-chart-

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
That bolts to the bolt that holds the heat shield to the block. The bolt you talked about. It should have been installed after TC was done. I had three Taurus that I did the TCs on and that where it goes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I bolted it to the heat shield / block bolt as recommended. The car has been about 15K since the timing cover work was done, so it's no telling how it got along without being attached and hopefully no harm was done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts