Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes.....I'm liking my sable since my unfortuanate civic being stolen. Having said that, I have a 93 Sable LS thats pretty good but needs a bit more juice. I was looking for a fairly bigger big boost of power so I thought turbo or supercharger. Now, I know I'll have to build the turbo setup myself but has anybody else here done it?

At the moment, I'm not too aquainted with the motor I have in my car and its capabilities or hp/tq ratings but its just an idea at the moment. Hopefully somebody has done it before me. Getting the actual turbo and all the piping isn't the problem. The biggest problem would be to fit this thing under the hood, mounting and installing an intercooler and have the car give ample fuel delivery. Things like fuel pump, injectors come to mind and possilby the manifold may not be up to par to handle much more just. Now, I'm not talking 50-60hp here....I'm thinking of maybe 6-8lbs of boots and hopefully get somewhere in between 20-30hp and around the same for torque. I'd like the car to have a bit more pull on the highway, something that an exhaust is just not capable of. Its just something that may be fun to do to the car, unless I have to fab everything up myself to get it done. I'm not going to be swapping an SHO motor into my car either so please don't suggest that.

some feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I'm assuming because you have an LS, you would have the 3.8L V6. It's got 140hp and 215 ft-lbs Torque. A couple of members have been able to supercharge that engine. One of them used a Thuderbird's s/c and it works, but there's still some bugs. I'm not sure if a turbo would work. It's pretty cramped under the hood.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well lets hope somebody jumps in here......I'm not married to the turbo idea, I just thought it would be easier than a S/C.

I never thought of a T-Bird......

C'mon guys, sombody has to have some more info.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Well, just find a Thunderbird like this in the junkyard and take it's s/c. I believe only the ones in this body style will work.

Supercharged 3.8L V6

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
That has to be one of the ugliest engine bays I have ever seen. It looks like a cubist rendition of an old man bending over in the shower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I came across these forums specifically because of a question like this one. I'm glad to know there are a few people who have S/C'd 3.8s.

I've been wondering about turbos, mostly for the around-town driveability... I've considered tuning for as much turbo lag as I could get, so that it's sort of unboosted below, say, 3500-4000 RPM. Imagine that... drive around town in a wagon, pull up to a ricer at a stoplight... brake-rev at him a few times... smoke his a** at full throttle, with full boost

The only issue that I was worried about this morning (before I found the forums) was the issue of plumbing, and space for the turbo. About the only thing I can think of is relocating the battery to the trunk, and sticking the turbo in that space. Plumbing nightmare if you retained the stock airbox location, though. (Certainly not the stock airbox itself!)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Look up Morana. They may be able to help. Consider their 4.4L kit for the "Essex" engine.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I don't think there would be a lot of turbo lag. The Essex has a lot of torque between 1-3k RPMs so the "power" of the engine would end right where the turbo would kick in.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Just to let everyone know, there have also been FWD SC'ed Vulcan cars, and there is another 3.8 donor, the Cougar XR-7.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Originally posted by americasfuture@Feb 16 2004, 08:34 PM
i have a turbo taurus....
Got pics? or Any Info?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts