Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a guy i know was talking to me about a supercharger the size of a shoebox that would connect right to the pullys. i am unable to find it. but if anyone knows where i could get one to supercharge my 3.0l v-6 dohc duratec 1997 that would be great.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Look at some of the Gen II's that are supercharged. If you would consider relocating your coolant tank and power steering tanks you could probably get a setup like that, they are really not that big. I don't know if any one has ever taken that approach before, or if it has been shot down?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
wasnt there like a huge thread (threads) about this like a week ago??

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I saw a shoebox type blower on a speedvision show, they put it on a miata, that was obviousky a smaller version of what you would need but yes it does exist.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
I would like to repeat this for the selectivly BLIND...

THERE IS NO BOLT ON SUPERCHARGER FOR THE TAURUS.....

Any will require a lot of custom fabrication.

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk@Sep 11 2004, 08:05 PM
Has anybody tried a lunchbox blower?
LOL :lol2:

Right on...

Dude, if you got to ask where to get one and don't even know what its called, you don't have the ability to put one on your car, so don't bother pursuing it.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
if you got to ask where to get one and don't even know what its called, you don't have the ability to put one on your car, so don't bother pursuing it.
that was kind of harsh don't you think :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
it could have been put better im sure, and yes it was blunt.

In my opinion i was honest.

Im sorry, but i see way too may posts of this nature. Guess how many have actually done what the ask about.....exactly ZERO. :(

Its a waste of my time and this forums space to ask uninformed questions. Im not saying you have to do every mod you ask about. :unsure:

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Brad you been pretty negative lately and very Lock happy why not just lock it and boot everyone out that says Supercharger? It's atleast a different approach that he's looking at, maybe there should be a supercharger forum so you don't have to read it...

S

·
0 Posts
ok ok ok, I normally would butt out of it, but come on Brad... "If you don't have something nice to say. Dont say anything at all"--sometimes works best.

There have been many newbie posting that, if I were near, I would slap the keyboard out from under their fingers. But I dont go off flame posting, and crushing dreams. It never hurts to ask.

Im on your side Brad, you have a very good point. Maybe Jorsh should study up on his SuperCharging... But doesn't mean you should knock on it.

Jorsh, lol, there are lots of us here that know a great deal about motors... maybe some more then others... sometimes when one sees a thread such as the one I am replying to now. Sees how mis informed one is about a part, or region of the motor. The motorhead tends to let off a little un-welcomed steam in the misinform's face.

Just my opinion.

Sal

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
actually if you have a super coupe upper and lower intake manifold and the blower itself it actually does "just bolt on". Doesn't mean it's going to work with out everything else hooked up to it and all the custom fabricating to go along with. But it does actually "just bolt on" hehe. Just trying to lighten the mood around here, since this seems to be such a hot subject. :D

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Arkan sho had a supercharger....I'm sure that wasnt a bolt on...so thats at least 1 person on here that did it....and if i recall it was a "shoebox" supercharger, but yes fabrication would be required. Obviously this individual was asking a question, a question asked because he was informed by someone else that there was a "universal" supercharger that may be able to be hooked onto the taurus. It was a question asked of where to find it... So how about we give him more decent answer....

Yes there are many self contained superchargers on the market, none of these have been found to bolt up to the taurus engine without custom fabrication, and no one here has tried this out yet.

I'm impressed a moderator snapped at this one. I was gonna ask if you wanted to hang out for a day while I was up in rochester at the end of the month...but i dont want you hatin' on my hoodscoop :D :p .

If you want to blame posts for wasted spece...blame some of mine, like what kind of toilet paper do you use :huh:

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
What in the H*LL is a shoebox blower??? Is this like a whipple supercharger?

Edit: Im not supercharger illiterate, I just have never heard of a blower being called a "shoebox" before.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
kermit: lock happy....welll thats direction from above me, so you cant blame me for that one. If you were a moderator...youd be doning the same thing...Ill bet my car on it.

Yes it came off harsh, and im sorry for that, but i stand behind the statment. Also I ask many questions of things i DREAM about too (and sometimes never accomplish). But Some people on this forum ask INFORMED QUESTIONS.

What this means is one does a little research so they can ask inteligent questions. I dont mind at all!

I would like to give an example, then you guy can continue ripping on me....just want to explain MY frame of mind:

I get questions ALL the time about swaping motors into diffrent cars. Yesterday alone i recieved 2 seperate requests. Both had very informend and SPECIFIC questions. I have no problem typing the same response a million times.

Also on other forums aI ask informed questions and get responses. Well, i did some reseach on turbo chargers. Alot, (6-8 hrs worth) and asked a question. Well the few places I got a response, they told me not to bother, because i did not hnow enough. Well, at first I was pissed, but then i realized, they were telling the truth, and that helped me not waste my time.

In the future, i will try not to be as blunt, but expect too much :p

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by tmonster@Sep 12 2004, 03:58 AM
Arkan sho had a supercharger....I'm sure that wasnt a bolt on...so thats at least 1 person on here that did it....and if i recall it was a "shoebox" supercharger, but yes fabrication would be required. Obviously this individual was asking a question, a question asked because he was informed by someone else that there was a "universal" supercharger that may be able to be hooked onto the taurus. It was a question asked of where to find it... So how about we give him more decent answer....

Yes there are many self contained superchargers on the market, none of these have been found to bolt up to the taurus engine without custom fabrication, and no one here has tried this out yet.

I'm impressed a moderator snapped at this one. I was gonna ask if you wanted to hang out for a day while I was up in rochester at the end of the month...but i dont want you hatin' on my hoodscoop :D :p .

If you want to blame posts for wasted spece...blame some of mine, like what kind of toilet paper do you use :huh:
Naw...i think hoodscoops are hot!

As for your question, there are two main types of superchargers:

Centrifugal-small, turbo looking superchargers used in small spaces and run off the accesory belt (usually in a taurus would mount opposite the drive belt where the water tank is)

Roots-larger, shoe box sized and shaped blower, usually has a long "snout" sticking off of it. (blower gets mounted on top of intake and the snout extends the drive pully over the accesory belt)

Each have unique qualities, and boost ablities, spool up times, power consumtion and mounting diffrences. FOr space in the gen 3 you are *almost* exclusivly limited to a Centrifugal type blower. Research some about the diffrences, and that will help you.

Brad :)

B

·
0 Posts
To lighten the mood, and be a jackass all at the same time:

Shoebox blowers are not worth the cost. The cardboard can't hold more than 3psi. Not to mention what happens when moisture gets to it.

Lunchbox blowers are a little better, they can hold more psi, depending on the latch mechanism. One latch is good for around 5 psi, two latches are good for about 7 psi. If you get the type with the thermos inside, you can use that as an intercooler.

:p

OK then, time for my shock therapy!

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Bob you forgot about the electric supercharger or even the fan in the intake. Now those make some mad tight horsepowa yo!!! :lol2:

S

·
0 Posts
There is close to no room for a supercharger on there... but lots of work, and you get probably get something worked out. I would love to see someone do this. It would be major props on their side.

Sal

·
Registered
394 Posts
I suppose it is useful and time-saving for one to do some research or get some background info before going through the trouble of starting a forum post on a question that could be answered in less than a minute with a google search.

It's like a guy goes into a shoe store and goes straight to a busy salesmen helping someone else to ask "Do you carry Nikes here".

1 - 20 of 40 Posts