Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where is a good place to get them, what sizes.
looking to put on a new and bigger fuel pump, not sure of the sizes as well as new injectors. mainly i want to give a little more to the bull and later on maybe go with a n2o setup and just wanted to know of a good place to look around and purchase from.
thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what type of chip are you reffering to>

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
you have a duratec, no need for larger injectors. The injectors silvapain was talking about are for a vulcan. You already have 24lb injectors, which are oversized for the taurus. You are good till AT LEAST 250-260 at the wheels wih the current injectors. As for fuel pump, ive been told alot of fuel pumps interchange, but which ones, im not sure

Good luck

Brad

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
250-260, i think that i will have around 230-240 when i get my stuff done. But doing a 75shot of n2o will put me over 250-260 stock, so should i get bigger injectors or just a bigger fuel pump?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
defently a bigger pump if u are going to be using n20 the Walbro 170 shoudl be fine the 190 might be a little over kill.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is that brand of pump compatible with my car? or do i need to get some other stuff to make it work.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
For the most part all intank returnable ford style pumps are the same. Walbro is the manifacture that makes them and everyone else rebages them (holly) and it is swap and go.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, is it vary difficult to change out? how much time should i set aside to do this?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by crackhead@Oct 7 2004, 05:07 PM
For the most part all intank returnable ford style pumps are the same. Walbro is the manifacture that makes them and everyone else rebages them (holly) and it is swap and go.
The pump I got was for a mustang - the pump housing fit fine in the tank canister, the problem was that the wiring harnesses were different. I had to cut the old harness out and put a new one in.

And Brad's right about the injectors. I didn't look to see what engine you had before I posted last time. 24lb/hr injectors will handle what your'e planning. The Vulcan's come stock with pathetic 14lb/hr injectors - that's why I upgraded mine.

The chip I was reffering to was an EEC reprogramming chip - the ones that Alberto makes that everyone talks about on here. The EEC can't recognize larger injectors on it's own, it has to be reprogrammed with the new specs. (just incase anyone else was thinking of doing this).

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
do you have to get both injectors and a pump to make the mod worthwhile, or will just bigger injectors work? Also, will bigger injectors do anything to an unmodified vulcan engine?

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Ryne@Oct 8 2004, 09:10 AM
Also, will bigger injectors do anything to an unmodified vulcan engine?
Nope. Basically, the stock Vulcan injectors should be good up to around 175 HP or so, depending on the method you use to calculate. Stock Vulcan is 155 HP, so you're good for now.

The fuel pump is to provide adequate flow in the case of using larger injectors, forced induction, or nitrous, or a combination of these things. If your fuel pump failed, installing a higher flow model will not hurt, and is also good planning if you want to add FI or nawzzz later on.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Oct 6 2004, 09:14 PM
you have a duratec, no need for larger injectors. The injectors silvapain was talking about are for a vulcan. You already have 24lb injectors, which are oversized for the taurus. You are good till AT LEAST 250-260 at the wheels wih the current injectors. As for fuel pump, ive been told alot of fuel pumps interchange, but which ones, im not sure

Good luck

Brad
So are you thinking about doing any fuel system mods in the future, what will the crazy crappy you're doing now, and probably have planned for the future?

JR

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
by installing a bigger fuel pump does one notice a diff. in power or anything???

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
No. Fuel pump and injectors are there for the purpose of supplying fuel to the engine. The only time you really need to go bigger is if your stock fuel system is not able to keep up with the engine.

If you do a dramatic increase in airflow, such as supercharging, turbocharging, nitrous oxide, or anything like that, you will need larger injectors and a higher flowing pump. If you're just running bolt ons you should never have a problem with your fuel system.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if i just do a fuel pump would that suffice instead of haveing to also changing the injectors, i would really rather not have to change the injectors.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with it . If you pln on running a wet Nitrous system, then a larger fuel pump will suffice. If you want a large dry system, or FI, then injectors are needed too.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I'd say for a "sane" 50-75 shot of nitrous your stock fuel system should be okay. If you do spray though, I'd recommend investing in an air-fuel gauge and a fuel pressure gauge. This is so you can recognize problems with non-ideal engine conditions and you won't be investing in a new engine. Duratecs are expensive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
http://rogueperformance.com/fuel.html
I noticed a big improvement in driveability with the pump, and I'm sure a wide band O2 run would have confirmed that I was leaning out on the top end.
My BBK 155lph was made by Walbro and does very well, even with the supercharger and other mods...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts