Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First off, im a newbie here. Please don't look at my description and think im a troll looking to start shiz.

Im looking to buy my wife a 03 Taurus SES that I have been spying at the local lot for a while. Its Spruce green and fairly loaded. 24V, Sunroof, Leather and CD. A really sharp car. Presently it has 22k and is a former Ford Exec car. What early problem areas should I look for, Tranny, engine and such. I heard it start on a 15deg day and it sounded really quiet, no sick noises or such. They are asking $13,500 for this car and I dont want to pay a cent over $11k for it, am I dreaming? I know people I work with who got BRAND NEW SESs after rebates and discounts for $16k. Lemme know.

Thanks,

Jay

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by karfreek@Feb 16 2004, 07:37 PM
Hello,

First off, im a newbie here. Please don't look at my description and think im a troll looking to start shiz.

Im looking to buy my wife a 03 Taurus SES that I have been spying at the local lot for a while. Its Spruce green and fairly loaded. 24V, Sunroof, Leather and CD. A really sharp car. Presently it has 22k and is a former Ford Exec car. What early problem areas should I look for, Tranny, engine and such. I heard it start on a 15deg day and it sounded really quiet, no sick noises or such. They are asking $13,500 for this car and I dont want to pay a cent over $11k for it, am I dreaming? I know people I work with who got BRAND NEW SESs after rebates and discounts for $16k. Lemme know.

Thanks,

Jay
I'd have to say that price is pretty good.... 13,500 would probably be book price on it... and i'd assume you could maybe get him down a grand... i doubt that you could get him to 11k....

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by karfreek@Feb 16 2004, 08:37 PM
Hello,

Thanks,

Jay
Thats a pretty good price, a similar taurus with all the same features at a local dealer in massachusetts (where I purchased my car) is listed at 14,900 with about 18K miles on it, so I think its a good deal.

-Damon

·
Registered
70 Posts
If your comfortable about getting one from ebay, you can get one like your looking for under $11K gauranteed. I've seen an SES '02 with leather, 6 disk changer, power everything including seats, sunroof, 24V duratech engine sold for $7K.

X

·
0 Posts
I dont know, but if that car has been sitting there for a while, try haggling. Spend an entire day there checking out, test driving, and bargaining for the car. If they dont give you the price you want, give them your phone number. Never know, they may call back and say ok, especially if it has been sitting there for a while.

J

·
0 Posts
That is high mileage for an 03 - so you could use that to try to haggle them down. But it sounds like a decent deal even at the asking price. You might want to look into a Ford Extended Service Plan warranty if you plan on keeping the car a long time. Factory warranty is only good til 36k miles. If you can't get them down on price, you might try to get them to throw in a warranty for free - something to consider. Honestly, I would not let them give you any warranty other than the one directly from Ford. I have heard some bad things about aftermarket warranty companies. Plus you can take the car to any dealership for warranty work.

Welcome to the club and prepare to become addicted!

Best of luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
887 Posts
As for people getting new SESs for 16k, don't forget that you can get an SES with the Vulcan motor and almost no options....the one you're looking at sounds like is it at the upper end of the SES range....

Also, welcome to the TCCA!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by afi292+Feb 16 2004, 08:05 PM-->QUOTE (afi292 @ Feb 16 2004, 08:05 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-karfreek
@Feb 16 2004, 07:37 PM
Hello,

First off, im a newbie here.  Please don't look at my description and think im a troll looking to start shiz. 

Im looking to buy my wife a 03 Taurus SES that I have been spying at the local lot for a while.  Its Spruce green and fairly loaded.  24V, Sunroof, Leather and CD.  A really sharp car.  Presently it has 22k and is a former Ford Exec car.  What early problem areas should I look for, Tranny, engine and such.  I heard it start on a 15deg day and it sounded really quiet, no sick noises or such.  They are asking $13,500 for this car and I dont want to pay a cent over $11k for it, am I dreaming?  I know people I work with who got BRAND NEW SESs after rebates and discounts for $16k.  Lemme know.

Thanks,

Jay
I'd have to say that price is pretty good.... 13,500 would probably be book price on it... and i'd assume you could maybe get him down a grand... i doubt that you could get him to 11k.... [/b]
Car dealers practically give cars away around here. I got my SSEi last spring for $9k from a GM Dealer, it booked for $14k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by CincySES@Feb 17 2004, 12:13 AM
As for people getting new SESs for 16k, don't forget that you can get an SES with the Vulcan motor and almost no options....the one you're looking at sounds like is it at the upper end of the SES range....

Also, welcome to the TCCA!!!
One was an SES Sport with the 24V and the other was a loaded SES with the 24V for $16K! I was in shock. Both brand new, unbeleivable!

Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by sabledale@Feb 18 2004, 06:16 PM
I think the asking is too high. You should be able to get a used one for 11k. My local dealer has one I've been eyeing up. An 02 fully loaded SE with 50k miles for $9,500. Wish I could scrape up the cash.
They are pretty much asking book for the car...no way!

Jay

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I think it is funny how you aways see SES or even SE models around with leather. Leather was only available on the SEL models, so I guess Ford likes to break its own rules for it's exec cars. As far as price, compare that to other uou are basically buying a car that was about $25,000 new. Given a year old and a lot of miles I beleave it is about right. Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I think it is funny how you aways see SES or even SE models around with leather. Leather was only available on the SEL models, so I guess Ford likes to break its own rules for it's exec cars. As far as price, compare that to other uou are basically buying a car that was about $25,000 new. Given a year old and a lot of miles I beleave it is about right. Just my $.02[/b]
I'm also amazed when I see an SE with the 24v/DOHC badge. Also while SEL's tended to sticker for about $25k, most people seem to have paid between $19-$21k for the cars. That 25k was MSRP and there were those $2-3k rebates going on plus the regular discounts. I kinda like the SEL wheels better than the regular SES/SE wheels, but then again I guess I'm a little biased...

X

·
0 Posts
Leather is an option on SES. I know in 2002, for SES you had a choice of moonroof or leather included in the price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts