Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Brake work all around in parts could easily be $150. Tires are say $100/installed per corner. Fender is $50 in your color. Reservoir (use ford) another $50. Oil leak, (pan gasket, $50). Then factor in trans service (under $100 in fluid w/filter if non-synthetic). Brake fluid under $15 for 2 big bottles to flush. Power steering, 1 or 2 quarts of ATF used in trans.

Kbb is always been a bit high. I would look at NADA for value. Which suggests $2400 for rough trade in (which sounds about alright). If you can be into this car for under $3,200 after all the work is done (hopefully you can do most work), you have done well. Because after all that, I would venture to say you could sell it for 4k.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Brake work all around in parts could easily be $150. Tires are say $100/installed per corner. Fender is $50 in your color. Reservoir (use ford) another $50. Oil leak, (pan gasket, $50). Then factor in trans service (under $100 in fluid w/filter if non-synthetic). Brake fluid under $15 for 2 big bottles to flush. Power steering, 1 or 2 quarts of ATF used in trans.
Well, if its the oil pan, my mechanic is doing it, and the rear brakes need to be done by him also, because i don't know much about drum brakes, but i can do the front.
The front tires are like 6 years old or so, and have alot of tread, but are age cracked. The rear tires are Original, and are crap. i plan on visiting the local salvage yard to get some rear tires for the mean time, or see if they actually have a set of 4 matching tires.

I did some math, and for $200 i have new drums, shoes, oil and filter, a bottle of seafoam, coolant, coolant reservoir, air filter and pads (i think the rotors are good). All from advance auto.

Ill get the fuel filter from napa, and eventually i'll buy the fluid and filter for the trans. I don't have a driveway, so i'm very limited to the things i can work on.

and i found a black fender for $35, so that should go well too.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Where do you live? Maybe a TCCA'er is nearby and can lend their driveway for some of the jobs (or help out)? If you're near me, you're welcome to zip over on a weekend. Heck oil Pan gasket is doable on your own, you just need to get the Y pipe out of the way. It's simple after it's down. $20-30 can get a mechanic to break the nuts that hold the pipe onto the studs.

Are you using the major discount codes for Advance from retailmenot.com? I saved $25 on rotors by using the codes, picking up in store after buying online.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Where do you live? Maybe a TCCA'er is nearby and can lend their driveway for some of the jobs (or help out)? If you're near me, you're welcome to zip over on a weekend. Heck oil Pan gasket is doable on your own, you just need to get the Y pipe out of the way. It's simple after it's down. $20-30 can get a mechanic to break the nuts that hold the pipe onto the studs.

Are you using the major discount codes for Advance from retailmenot.com? I saved $25 on rotors by using the codes, picking up in store after buying online.
I'm in jersey. But my mechanic is pretty cheap, so i'm not gonna spend that much; Thanks though. And of course, i am using a promo code on Advance auto!:D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Woohoo!

Hey guys, i just got off the phone with my neighbors daughter.

I'm going to be the new owner of a 2000 Ford Taurus SES with the duratec V6.!!!!

I got it for $1700. Has 50,000miles. Its black, and has grey leather interior, and a sunroof. and a spoiler and cd changer installed by the dealer when new.!!

Like i said in other posts, it needs work, but the price is right!

I just have to wait for her to bring it over and to my house since she took it to her place, and we'll see what happens. i'm in a great mood!

·
Premium Member
7,300 Posts
Sounds like a great price, including fix-ups!
Low milage too.
Congratulations!! :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hey guys, i just got off the phone with my neighbors daughter.

I'm going to be the new owner of a 2000 Ford Taurus SES with the duratec V6.!!!!

I got it for $1700. Has 50,000miles. Its black, and has grey leather interior, and a sunroof. and a spoiler and cd changer installed by the dealer when new.!!

Like i said in other posts, it needs work, but the price is right!

I just have to wait for her to bring it over and to my house since she took it to her place, and we'll see what happens. i'm in a great mood!
Congrats! Awesome price for a low-mile 'Tec, even with some needed work.

The long wait was worth it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
I got it!!!!!

I just got my 00' taurus ses today!

The car really doesn't need brakes, idk what they were talking about when they said it needed them. I'm gonna do a tuneup, change the front pads with just regular $20 pads( i'll change the rotors in the summer), change the fuelfilter, clean and adjust rear brakes. Change the belt,coolant and recovery tank, i just did an oil change, clean the Mass air flow sensor (i have the right spray 4 that).

I just drove it for the first time, and WOW, it drives SO nice, but needs an alignment.

One question, there is a line, that comes from the passenger side, to the...fuel rail?, and it looks like it has this regulator type thing on it, and my neighbors daughter last year put two hose clamps on each end cuz the plastic clips broke.

What is that line, and does it effect anything?

I have an attached picture of my CAR, and a pic showing the line im talking about ( even though most of you know what it is).

View attachment 62741

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
The car really doesn't need brakes, idk what they were talking about when they said it needed them. I'm gonna do a tuneup, change the front pads with just regular $20 pads( i'll change the rotors in the summer), change the fuelfilter, clean and adjust rear brakes. Change the belt,coolant and recovery tank, i just did an oil change, clean the Mass air flow sensor (i have the right spray 4 that).
Did you actually check the pad thickness for yourself? If the pads are almost worn, the brakes will work the same but if you run them all the way down to metal you will have no braking ability and will have to replace the pads and the rotors.

One question, there is a line, that comes from the passenger side, to the...fuel rail?, and it looks like it has this regulator type thing on it, and my neighbors daughter last year put two hose clamps on each end cuz the plastic clips broke.
That would be the fuel line from the fuel pressure regulator. If those clips break and the line come loose, you will be shooting raw gasoline all over your hot engine and will be able to witness a spectacular fire.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Did you actually check the pad thickness for yourself? If the pads are almost worn, the brakes will work the same but if you run them all the way down to metal you will have no braking ability and will have to replace the pads and the rotors.

I checked the pad thickness, the outer pad has a bit over a 1/4inch of meat left on it, but the pads are OLD. Older than 6 years.... i remember when the previous owner (my neighbor) got them done.

Also, i just remembered, the drivers side window needs a regulator and motor, the window goes down well, but not up, you have to pull the window up, and press the button constantly, and i wobbles back and forth a tiny,tiny bit the way up.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I just got my 00' taurus ses today!

I'm gonna do a tuneup, change the front pads with just regular $20 pads( i'll change the rotors in the summer),
They'll probably stop your car fine. However, the standard recommendation I keep hearing often is to buy premium ceramic pads and average rotors. The premium brake pads that are sold by chain parts stores cost $50-70 a set, and most have good reviews. For example, Wagner Thermoquets (Advance Auto Parts) or Duralast Gold C-max (Autozone) cost about $50-55. Right now advance auto parts runs a 15% off promotion for online purchases until March 10th, and 25% off through today with SUNDAY34 code used in online cart.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I have a question about the transmission. The car only has 52k miles, and the trans shifts fine, and drives fine. Its has the original fluid,and luckily, its still red and nice.

I learned alot about the transmissions on this forum, and i told my dad every 30k the fluid and filter needs to be changed.
We argued about it because he said that on fords, if u do that the transmission, it goes out ( he experienced it once, thats why he says that.)

I want to get the trans filter and fluid changed, but my dad is being stubborn about it.

Even though i know he is wrong, i should still do the fluid and filter change, right?

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I have a question about the transmission. The car only has 52k miles, and the trans shifts fine, and drives fine. Its has the original fluid,and luckily, its still red and nice.

I learned alot about the transmissions on this forum, and i told my dad every 30k the fluid and filter needs to be changed.
We argued about it because he said that on fords, if u do that the transmission, it goes out ( he experienced it once, thats why he says that.)

I want to get the trans filter and fluid changed, but my dad is being stubborn about it.

Even though i know he is wrong, i should still do the fluid and filter change, right?
YES change it, that's why my '00 with 206k miles still has the original trans in it.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts

You do well do do what the factory says.

See pic.

You can do it wrong and screw it up, like using the wrong fluid, not putting the filter in right, not filling it to spec. like overfilling and such. If you follow the schedule you never need to do anything to the tranny except change the filter and fluid in the case. NO FLUSH needed.

If you miss three changes on the tranny, you really need a flush and the filter will be starving your pump.

But do not do as I do. I changed my '01 at 111K just filter but I sucked out the fluid and replaced, repeated it next day, repeated next day, now it is really clear and red. Trans was starting to drag the 2-3 shift before, now it is crisp. Crisp if GOOD. ;)

But I have had 7 Taurus/Sables all used and passed on to my daughters except present, and 5 Lin Cont one new 4 used all traded excpet present. Never had a trans issue except for STUPID ( Here is my sign) towed a trailer in OD on hot July day. (for a little while) cooked the TQ seal and replaced the TQ only.

-chart-

81 - 95 of 95 Posts
About this Discussion
94 Replies
19 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing