Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Ford Taurus; V6 Engine; Auto Trans
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I am new to these Forums but not new to Fords or the Taurus. I have owned 2, a 1993 Taurus GL with the 3.8 ltr V6 and a 2000 SE with the 3.0 ltr standard V6. The car I am driving now is an import and it is old and shows its age and is not much more than basic transport. I am looking to buy a Gen 4 Taurus 2000 to 2007 and I want to get ideally an SEL with the 3.0 ltr DOHC engine or a SES or finally an SE. I really want the 3.0 ltr DOHC engine but know the standard 3.0 ltr engine and know it as a good engine and I feel that when I find the right car for me I will know it.

I am posting here to ask for opinions and information on issues with the Gen 4 Taurus? Things I need to look out for when buying the car? My 2000 SE 3.0 ltr V6 was very reliable and I had only 1 problem in the 10 years I owned it and that was a weird antifreeze leak that no one could ever find. I had one shop tell me something about a known issue with antifreeze leaking out from between the block and the timing cover but I never knew if they knew what they were talking about or if they were just trying to get my money. Other than that I kept up the maintenance and the car was rock solid.

Anything that anyone can tell me about the Gen 4 Tauruses will be most appreciated. Thanks everyone and see you around the Forums.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I have had, '87, '88' '90, '92, '95 and 4 G-4,s. '01 sold, and present 3 '03's. Those with miles, 123K , 155K, 193K. The G-4's are solid, very comfortable seats and nice controls. Like all cars they need maintenance. Like all old cars, they need extra attention to age related issues. The DOHC is near bullet proof. All my G-4's have that. They have issues with hoses under the hood. No big issue to fix. They leak oil. It happens, no need to fix. Gen 1-4 break springs. They are sensitive to low volts, so best have a good battery. Also have weak grounds to body, easy fix.
And one more plus. JY parts are common. My '03 Sable sedan, tree fell on it and totaled. JY top glass, and hood and shop put in windshield. 113K more miles and going strong. Pic of it. They are tough.
My favorite all time, present '03 Sable wagon. Yea, it broke a front spring in the depth of winter and I paid a shop to replace the struts.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Ford Taurus; V6 Engine; Auto Trans
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@chartmaker Thanks for the information. I am aware of the issues that the Gen 4 Taurus had with the springs failing and the "fix' if you want to call it that was a joke. Taking the struts off and wrapping them in plastic?? A shop could have replaced the spring or for that matter the entire strut assembly for that money but that's a corporation for you. Do it the hard way every time.

How about the transmissions on the Gen 4? Are they pretty strong and sturdy? My 2000 Gen 4 with the 3.0 ltr standard engine had no transmission problems in the 10 years I owned it but after I sold it I started hearing about transmission failures but I guess that can happen with any car. For my 2000 Taurus I was on top of the maintenance and changed the transmission fluid every 2 years and used Castrol Mercon 5.

What are your thoughts on the Gen 4 Sables? I am looking at a 2004 Sable LS Premium with 150K miles on it and it has the 24 valve engine. If everything comes out right it might be parked in my garage by the weekend. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Struts need to be replaced with "ready struts". I got pair of OE quality from RA for just over $100 total not counting shipping. Installed on my '03 Taurus at about 108K miles. Fairly easy to do. Some details in how to do it. Here in the rust belt good idea. As to tranny, some '03 cars had a bad TQ spline. They failed fairly early, so most used now have gone well beyond that. Fluid exchange is important. I do the PS system also. No drain, just suck out and replace. With 9 Bulls, I have only had one small issue with PS. Seal leaking on the '01 pump shaft. I replaced the seal. In my op, regular maint keeps a lot of things from going wrong.
-chart-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts