Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my first time looking for suspension and wanted something that rides comfortable for daily driving, but tighter around corners. Something similar to my parents 2011 Fusion Sport. I've been debating between the Monore Quickstruts or the Moog springs with KYB struts. And wanting to get rid of SAS. Any other suggestions will be welcome.:D

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
comfortable, but sporty ride
Hahaha, there is no free lunch! Monroe Sensatrac are more comfortable than OEM suspension, but are not "sporty(er)".
KYB Excel-G is same as OEM (on cars without SAS). Not too comfy, not too sporty. KYB AGX provide an adjustable rate. Kind of manual adjusting for every style - complicated in my opinion.

Eliminating SAS is the worst part - not easy to do it and, by itself, SAS provides a higer level of comfort.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
It's my first time looking for suspension and wanted something that rides comfortable for daily driving, but tighter around corners. Something similar to my parents 2011 Fusion Sport. I've been debating between the Monore Quickstruts or the Moog springs with KYB struts. And wanting to get rid of SAS. Any other suggestions will be welcome.:D
Those are your basic options. We do offer Koni struts as well: Koni Adjustable Struts

We are working on lowering springs as well. The test springs are on their way over

Hahaha, there is no free lunch! Monroe Sensatrac are more comfortable than OEM suspension, but are not "sporty(er)".
KYB Excel-G is same as OEM (on cars without SAS). Not too comfy, not too sporty. KYB AGX provide an adjustable rate. Kind of manual adjusting for every style - complicated in my opinion.

Eliminating SAS is the worst part - not easy to do it and, by itself, SAS provides a higer level of comfort.
KYB does not make AGX struts for the Taurus.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
grab a set of 4 rubber 2" spacers from autozone/advanced and put em in the rear springs, it stiffens in right up and kills sas but doesnt make the ride bad.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
grab a set of 4 rubber 2" spacers from autozone/advanced and put em in the rear springs, it stiffens in right up and kills sas but doesnt make the ride bad.
It also reduce spring travel which is really bad if you hit a pot hole or even going over railroad tracks. It is not a good way to fix the problem. The best way is to replace the springs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just replaced the rears with KYB quick struts (complete units). They were about $125 each from rock auto. I'm not sure of the make on the coil springs, but after 2 weeks they've settled perfectly and this thing corners great. The fronts are due, there monroe sensacraps quickstruts and the springs are rubber, the struts are shot also. 100k. I hate monroe, never had a good experience with them. They're shock seem to ride great for about 3k, then just turn to crap.

I had the KYB AGX in my old integra and those were terrific! I'm not sure if the price / availability is worth it though.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just replaced the rears with KYB quick struts (complete units). They were about $125 each from rock auto. I'm not sure of the make on the coil springs, but after 2 weeks they've settled perfectly and this thing corners great. The fronts are due, there monroe sensacraps quickstruts and the springs are rubber, the struts are shot also. 100k. I hate monroe, never had a good experience with them. They're shock seem to ride great for about 3k, then just turn to crap.

I had the KYB AGX in my old integra and those were terrific! I'm not sure if the price / availability is worth it though.
We can't get AGX for our car. I prefer KONI anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Forgot to tell you guys that I'm looking to get something non-adjustable, more like something "simple" or preset. I'm also looking to get 17 or 18 inch rims, if these make any difference? And while I'm talking about rims, is 18x8 rims ok on a "regular" (non lowered) Taurus?

Now that I've done some research, 02sesvulcan has kinda got me interested in KYB quick struts! I was kind of looking at what Bull Geek has done to his and maybe going that route, but I read on another forum that I think he does not like his Monroe quick struts. Although his Gen 2 "cargo coil" idea looks interesting...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
My one gripe with QuickStruts is the fact that the spring is, as usual, not up to the duty.

I think the general problem with the springs on the Gen 3s and 4s, lscman said it best, the car's too heavy for the springs. So yes, you get the supple ride, but it bottoms out too easily and isn't calibrated right either.

Next round of suspension upgrades, I am going to use some beefier springs. Moog CC859s appear to be the ticket in the rear.

Michakaveli is doing the swap in his car soon with KYB struts and Moog cc859 springs, and I'll be able to confirm if it's what it should be. Cars like the Gen 6 Accord have the perfect balance of stiffer ride, good handling, and give good feedback on what the roads doing, as well as handles different kind of bumps and expansion joints well. I will always be a fan of the Taurus, but the factory suspension setup on Gen 4s is junk. Taurusandmarauder pioneered the idea of Gen 2 cargo coils on the rear struts.

I'd be careful on the size of the wheel you use, as at some point the rear wheel well lip is going to start carving a groove in your tie tread, depending what route you go for wheels and tires.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks Bull Geek!! You've been most helpful (along with the other people's input). I was looking at other people's set up and I kinda liked Cliff's. He had Gen 3 KYB GR-2 struts and TRW springs. Does anybody know if his setup was stiff? And btw, what are TRW springs and what does it mean? (Sorry, still new in the suspension department, there are so many components!) And if you could Bull Geek let me know how Michakaveli's setup is? And for the Gen2 cargo coils, I'll thank you and Taurusandmarauder!! And btw, how do u guys buy and put it in? I was going to have all this done at a local Ford dealership.

And on the rims idea, I was either going to do a 17X7.5 (maximum) w/ tires like 225/50-17, or do 18X8(max) w/ tires of 225/45-18.. if this helps? I don't want to make it look stupid or ricer, but more of a "sports sedan," but stock performance...

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
dont know what TRW springs are so i can pretty much gaurentee they wont fit your taurus, eibachs and roush springs are pretty much the only ones ive ever heard of, roush springs are impossible to find and eibachs are hard but you could probably find them somewhere.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
TRW is a stock aftermarket company like Moog. They are basically the same.

We do have the rear springs which are for the Gen2 : Moog Springs

The ride is stock for the Gen1/2 so it is slightly stiffer over the Gen 3/4 and lifts the rear. They instal like stock springs.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Michakaveli is doing the swap in his car soon with KYB struts and Moog cc859 springs, and I'll be able to confirm if it's what it should be.
That would be interesting to know. Sure, original ride on Taurus/Sable was designed for the US market - softer and comfy.
I wonder if the KYB Strut-Plus is the same (soft spring).

PS: The cars for EU have a "sporty" tunning usually - because they don't drive thousands of km at once. I drove in a latest A8 for 400 miles and at the end of the drive, my a** and back was hurting :) That is not happening in my old Sable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
-If I get Gen2 Moog rear springs, do I need to get Gen2 cargo coils as well, or is that the same thing to fix the SAS? Hows the installation on the Gen2 rear springs, easy, as in simple pull out old and put new in, or more complex?
-And if I do get the Gen2 Moog rear springs, do I get Gen4 Moog front springs?
-Btw, has anyone test driven a 2010 or 2011 Ford Fusion Sport, cause that's what I "would like" to aim for?

Sorry, question central B)

·
Registered
23 Posts
PS: The cars for EU have a "sporty" tunning usually - because they don't drive thousands of km at once. I drove in a latest A8 for 400 miles and at the end of the drive, my a** and back was hurting :) That is not happening in my old Sable.
Does anyone know if the EU suspension will fit on an American car?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The euro spec Tauruses have the same suspension as the US cars..............

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
-If I get Gen2 Moog rear springs, do I need to get Gen2 cargo coils as well, or is that the same thing to fix the SAS? Hows the installation on the Gen2 rear springs, easy, as in simple pull out old and put new in, or more complex?
-And if I do get the Gen2 Moog rear springs, do I get Gen4 Moog front springs?
-Btw, has anyone test driven a 2010 or 2011 Ford Fusion Sport, cause that's what I "would like" to aim for?

Sorry, question central B)

The Gen2 springs are the same. Simple remove and replace. Do the struts at the same time.

You should do Gen4 front.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks loudsho92 for replying!! I've been waiting and now with your guys' help, I'm buying the new Moog springs and new KYB struts this weekend. Hopefully I will have this done soon! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
aww man please give a review on your experience with the moog/kyb setup! im @ 70K (previous owner was all city) & im ready to revamp suspension- stut assemblies, hubs, links, axles, tie rods, maybe balls. w/e i can find in moog parts. but the strut assemblies are the only components that are so difficult to choose! always have to sacrifice either ride comfort or ride performance but im greedy & want both!

question- im so used to buying preassembled setups but if i buy separate parts what all do i need for self-assembly? i know i need strut, spring, and spring tool but what about the other crap in between?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts