Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i have a "sagging ass" on my 2005 Sedan so I'm looking to replace my struts, spring, strut mount, and maybe end links (only has 72k miles)....i drive my car kinda aggressively (take corners at mild speeds) so I'm looking for a good set up. i was reading on this forum and i read this thread saying that Gen3 struts and spring are little more stiffer than Gen4

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/118...es/151043-using-gen-iii-kyb-gr-2s-gen-iv.html

But i just read this thread saying the opposite

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/118...-than-gen4-i-spoke-kyb-tech-support-read.html

so i was just wondering what you guys is opinion on struts for Gen4.

Thank You

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i heard they make noise but this will be my first time ever buying strut for my car. is there anything else i should replacing or at least inspect while im replacing the struts?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I used KYB strut plus on all four corners on my old gen iv. I stuck with the gen iv struts, they ride a little firmer than the stock springs did, it was a big improvement, even from when the car was newer. I ordered them from tirerack.com, the rears were about $125 each. It took a couple of weeks for the springs to settle, the first week I put a couple of 50lb weights in the trunk to help them settle faster. The rear struts are easier than the fronts, if you live where they salt the roads, buy new pinch bolts. You should soak them in pb blaster for a few hours before you attempt to unbolt them, they're a pain to work with.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i heard they make noise but this will be my first time ever buying strut for my car. is there anything else i should replacing or at least inspect while im replacing the struts?
That is a problem that plagued many Quickstruts, but apparently it is more of an installer error than product error. Monroe released a tech bulletin stating for people to follow the install instructions, especially the one about checking the torque of the nut on the top of the strut assembly prior to install. I've known of people going back after the install, once experiencing the noise, and re-torquing the nut, and noise goes away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not very versed on the struts themselves, but when I replaced the rears on the 02, I used the Gen3 rear springs and Napa struts and it really firmed up the rears.

I just got done doing the fronts (bought the parts, but paid a shop to install) and just used OEM stuff. (as much made in USA as I could find) After pricing out quick struts.... I would never buy them. Parts and labor ran me just a hair more than I would have paid for just the quick struts... I replaced everything too.

I'm sure there are cheapy quick struts to be had, but I was looking at ones which were $200 each. Total repair including parts was only $460. (Ford wants $900 ???) Labor was the same with or without the quick struts. 3 hour book job. Considering the only springs I have ever had break (4) have all been OE ford..... You can bet I will never buy a spring (or strut for that matter) with the motorcraft label.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright thank you guys for your input.

@austex04 i just might end up getting those struts. i have two 12 inch subwoofer in a ported box that weighs about 100 pounds i live in northern California so the car never see salt on the road nor snow but not 100% rust free since it rains.

@84FordMan i read about that somewhere on the forum saying that the top nut was under torqued and that it should be checked because that was the source of the clunking sound.

@dunno513 did you used the stock spring from Gen3? i plan on doing this job myself since i have two speeding ticket i got to pay (speed traps..>.<). overall, the quick struts would be the easier way to go but I'm not looking for how easy it will be, I'm looking for good overall quality. This is the only car i have at the moment so I'm trying to make it last as long as possible.

I'm looking at the Moog spring on Shosource.com. anyone have any problems with these spring?
Moog Springs

·
Registered
248 Posts
That is a problem that plagued many Quickstruts, but apparently it is more of an installer error than product error. Monroe released a tech bulletin stating for people to follow the install instructions, especially the one about checking the torque of the nut on the top of the strut assembly prior to install. I've known of people going back after the install, once experiencing the noise, and re-torquing the nut, and noise goes away.
May I have a link to the Monroe tech bulletin?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts