Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, I'm looking for an high output alternator and a better battery to install in my 05 Vulcan.... i have a high output system and my lights dimming like crazy and when i'm idling at a light with the system on blast the radio and system will shut off and turn back on so i measured voltage drop and the radio shuts off at 10 volts or less

currently running stock alternator, stock battery, doing big three this week end, two Rockford fosgate P3's powered Hifonics Brutus 2000 watt RMS

i also have a video of it that i will post below of the symptoms.........

any suggestion would be helpful and thank you.............

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Your best bet is to have your current alternator rewound professionally. They don't sell any for our cars that I know of.

You may also consider getting a BATCAP for your system to keep your electrical system from being taxed.

Is everything fused and run correctly (No "cheating", are dedicated lines run)? Is the Amp setup correctly? Sometimes if the amp's settings are incorrect this can put a huge voltage load on the electrical system in addition to damaging the amp and sub.

Is the car in proper running order?

Sorry for all the questions but to help, we gotta know this stuff. :)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Your stock alternator is already a high output. The best thing you can do is to use a better battery, and if needed, run a smaller pulley on the alternator. Smaller pulley makes the alternator spin faster, and that will increase its output.

Make sure all your grounds are good, adding a few extra ground wires probably wouldn't hurt. For the kind of juice you are running, adding a second battery and maybe a cap would be a good idea.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i had the amp tuned at the local beat shop (spent 40 bucks but it was done right).

i also grounded the amp to the body (scratch off all the paint and bolted it down)

i was considering a cap but then the guy at the beat shop was like "you need to better battery, high output alternator, big three upgrade, before get a cap since all the cap does it draw power from the battery and stores it until the amp needs it"

second battery i will most likely get later on

i heard yellow top optimum battery where good for the primary battery

anything else that could help out........... and thank you guys for your opinion...

·
Registered
587 Posts
i would sell that p.o.s. amp and get a good one like sundown audio or even zed audio check out soundsolutionaudio. by the way here is a place i get my alts from

Taurus

also yapiing with the guy at mcr.com the place i linked i got a 200 amp for my1997 taurus so e mail before you buy if looking for a 250 amp alt.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
well i had the amp tuned at the local beat shop (spent 40 bucks but it was done right).
Ok that's good. Be careful because some shops have idiots working there. :lol2:
i also grounded the amp to the body (scratch off all the paint and bolted it down)
Ok, that's not too bad. You should totally do the Big 3 in this case.
i was considering a cap but then the guy at the beat shop was like "you need to better battery, high output alternator, big three upgrade, before get a cap since all the cap does it draw power from the battery and stores it until the amp needs it"

second battery i will most likely get later on
A Batcap will eliminate the need for a second battery being its a hyper efficient battery that responds like a capacitor. :) Normally guys I know with extreme systems use these. Some guys use battery arrays.
i heard yellow top optimum battery where good for the primary battery
Yellow top Optima's are a good battery for sound systems, but really Optima's have decreased in quality.. I'd recommend an Odyssey or a XS Power. (I really like Odyssey :lol2:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok that's good. Be careful because some shops have idiots working there. :lol2:

Ok, that's not too bad. You should totally do the Big 3 in this case.

A Batcap will eliminate the need for a second battery being its a hyper efficient battery that responds like a capacitor. :) Normally guys I know with extreme systems use these. Some guys use battery arrays.

Yellow top Optima's are a good battery for sound systems, but really Optima's have decreased in quality.. I'd recommend an Odyssey or a XS Power. (I really like Odyssey :lol2:)
i was thinking about getting XS power but i heard you need to charge them before you can use then to insure proper usage...but i'll look into odyssey tho, thx.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Buy one or two of these and your problems will go away. (10) c&d tech 12-475fr batteries - Car Audio Classifieds

Get a multi meter and tune the amp yourself. I feel like the gain is turned up way to high on your amp. My friend with a Jetta that has an 80 amp alt and the same exact amp can run full tilt at idle and only dip into the 11's. So its most likely clipping.

And to sadistic the amp is perfectly fine and is a great value for the price. Not everyone has the luxury to buy semi overpriced amps =o

Edit: Are you sure P3's can handle 1800-2000w daily? They for sure wont last long if your amp is turned up to high and clipping the hell out of them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well there wired at 8 ohm each which is combined at 4 ohm load, i guess i could turn the gain down. i have a multi meter but i don't know how to adjust the amp using the multi meter, i know how to using an oscilloscope to make adjustments but there kinda pricey and i don't own one

·
Registered
194 Posts
i was thinking about getting XS power but i heard you need to charge them before you can use then to insure proper usage...but i'll look into odyssey tho, thx.
I got an XS power from the local shop and it cured my headlight dimming. They have some sort of special charger to give it a slight overcharge which it needs. I left my interior light on overnight once and the car cranked over no problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How to tune amp with a DMM LINK

I wish there were more options for a H/O alt, i need one bad.

Capacitors arent the best as they can hurt system; adding a battery in the trunk is the way to go, check out Kinetic brand....

·
Registered
587 Posts
and to sadistic the amp is perfectly fine and is a great value for the price. Not everyone has the luxury to buy semi overpriced amps =o

ya i use to run power acoustic the increased distortion thd+ noise cause of the lack of shielding drive me nuts on low budget amps. sorry for sounding like a prick. the amp is fine for low budget stuff just keep in mind when setting it it will still sound distritored like the pa amps i have owned. even when set properly. this is why i would only use p.a. for spl but they are so under rated it is not funny. there is a amp at sound solution audio that is a pre sale for 525 it is about guessing here going to be about 3.0k watts rms for $525 it the saz 2500 d amp it will sell reg price for 800-900 but will not be out till December or after christmas. but is well worth the 575 price of the current presale price. look at pa there amps are for the 3.0 ks about 325-500 at e bay. they will only put out about 2.0-2.5 k true watts any ways you get the point sun down is a great value picked up on pre sale. you are right don't let me break the bank saying that no poking fun here some people are pricks trying to get you to over spend like the rap song go got them rims bigger then hollo hopes. but got to remember that life is not about money like some people think it is. some people just do not under stand. any ways just a tip on that pre sale sun down you can tell i have been thinking of it lol's.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

Actually all (rechargeable) batteries should be fully charged before use. This includes your vehicle's. ;)

This will ensure battery longevity. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I ran that exact amp and it was a great amp. If you can hear 1% THD in a sub amp then you have the keenest ear in the world. And comparing PA amps to maxxsonics amps is rediculous, they should be compared to boss and lanzar. I honestly don't see the reason of buying a sundown amp other than being well built. Cheaper amps can be had with the same wattage and quality imo. The sub it self and the box judge 99% of the sound quality of a system. Wattage is wattage for the most part.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@ swimstud920 - thanks for the link, going to mess with it today

@ sadistic - i did a lot of research on amps before i went out and bought this one, the main reason why i bought this amp was because it's wasn't too expensive compared to Rockford and other high end companies. I'm sure in the video, it was my stock speakers that where clipping (i could be wrong tho) but i'm going to upgrade the 5x7/6x8 (any brands you know that are good?)

@ mediarocker -Thanks for the little battery info.

@ adio25 - Thank you for understanding

i found a website that sell H/O alts., don't know if it legit but it wouldn't hurt to make about it:lol2:

link will be posted below

6G Series Heavy Duty Bridge Rectifier High Output Alternator

·
Registered
587 Posts
o.k. i see were that went if you want to compare crap to crap go ahead. makes the other carp look better. but do not include me in the high jacking of this guy thread.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
o.k. i see were that went if you want to compare crap to crap go ahead. makes the other carp look better. but do not include me in the high jacking of this guy thread.
haha ok

·
Registered
587 Posts
@ swimstud920 - thanks for the link, going to mess with it today

@ sadistic - i did a lot of research on amps before i went out and bought this one, the main reason why i bought this amp was because it's wasn't too expensive compared to Rockford and other high end companies. I'm sure in the video, it was my stock speakers that where clipping (i could be wrong tho) but i'm going to upgrade the 5x7/6x8 (any brands you know that are good?)

@ mediarocker -Thanks for the little battery info.

@ adio25 - Thank you for understanding

i found a website that sell H/O alts., don't know if it legit but it wouldn't hurt to make about it:lol2:

link will be posted below

6G Series Heavy Duty Bridge Rectifier High Output Alternator

ya like i said you will always want to up grade amps you may start out 250 watts rms and end out 2500 rms latter on. not saying to do it right this second. do your research thoes maxxsonics are not that great. there good for budget builds and people not wanting to spend a lot at first. but if you get in to audio your going to want better. and ya your right on the rockford fosgate and jl amps dollar for dollar there just not worth the price unless you can find them dirt cheap. like the two p325.2 i got from crutchfield.com for 99.99 each. you got to do better looking is all i was thinking along with research before you buy. i think i list and paid 115 for a 1.0 k amp made by re audio / us amps it is the xt2000d even sony makes some good amps just got to know what you are buying. if you got the spare cash check out pasmag.com every once in a wile they compare amps speakers etc... to each other and show manufacture specs to what the actual put out trust me 1.0 k maxxsonics is comparable to a good amp like a 600 rms watt sony if you get the right one.

could go for speaker like mb quart or even phoenix gold, cdt, or even some cadence for the cheaper stuff that is good. if looking a little higher priced look for infinity which i think are to bright or jbl which are about the same. there is also polk sr's and momos , db's. along with tons of other i tend to like silk tweeters they tend to break in faster and do not sound as twangy as Mylar or metalized like titanium

·
Registered
360 Posts
well there wired at 8 ohm each which is combined at 4 ohm load, i guess i could turn the gain down. i have a multi meter but i don't know how to adjust the amp using the multi meter, i know how to using an oscilloscope to make adjustments but there kinda pricey and i don't own one
Waaaait a second -- 4 ohms on a bxi2010d?
That's only about 600w. Even when you're leaning on it that shouldn't be an issue.
Have you had your alt/battery checked?
That level of power really shouldn't have much effect on even a SMALL stock electrical system.

I'm running 1500w rms in my '00 contour. I get some dimming at high volume, but basically it runs fine.

You probably don't want to hear this, but if I were you i'd go back through your power wire from batt (+) to batt (-). Maybe you have a poor stock ground from chassis to batt.
4v drop with 600w almost HAS to be a wiring problem.
Corroded batt cables maybe?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Waaaait a second -- 4 ohms on a bxi2010d?
That's only about 600w. Even when you're leaning on it that shouldn't be an issue.
Have you had your alt/battery checked?
That level of power really shouldn't have much effect on even a SMALL stock electrical system.

I'm running 1500w rms in my '00 contour. I get some dimming at high volume, but basically it runs fine.

You probably don't want to hear this, but if I were you i'd go back through your power wire from batt (+) to batt (-). Maybe you have a poor stock ground from chassis to batt.
4v drop with 600w almost HAS to be a wiring problem.
Corroded batt cables maybe?

you are correct on the thought this is why i said what i said about hifonics very inefficient power supplies they may use 100 amps per 1000 rms and are over rated watts of like 795 watts rms for that 1000 their claiming. my sun down and a few other like sony and re audio/usamps etc rock ford jl audio etc... will use 150 amps for 1500 rms but it come to the point are they worth buying because the rep and price per dollar for watts. i think my sony uses 90 amps worth of fuses to achieve almost 900 watts rms. for the price i paid there close enough at least to what they should be.

here is a small formula to compare power. volts times amps then that is multiplied by .707 the point 707 is a factor use to find rms of a sine wave. so it is .707 of the peak output that should give the max of what it will put out. like at one ohm load but power measurements using a clamp on am probe and a multimeter will tell you the truth what's going threw the speaker wires etc.. even the amp input wires can be measured. the more inefficient the power supply the less watts you will output from your amp so it will drawl the 100 amps but most is turn in to music but some in to heat etc... utilized by the amp heat sink and then dissipated to atmosphere. any ways that's why your head light are dimming.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts