Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '93 Taurus GL with the 3.8L. I am wondering if I were to replace the stock cap/rotor/wires and the coil (I want a slightly hotter coil) with Accel bolt on parts would this help me get quicker starts and slightly better fuel economy? Also I was wondering if bumping the plugs up in temperature range would help any.... living on an island over 95% of my driving is less than one mile and many times the engine doesn't even get a chance to warm up before being shut down for hours.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I have a '93 Taurus GL with the 3.8L. I am wondering if I were to replace the stock cap/rotor/wires and the coil (I want a slightly hotter coil) with Accel bolt on parts would this help me get quicker starts and slightly better fuel economy? Also I was wondering if bumping the plugs up in temperature range would help any.... living on an island over 95% of my driving is less than one mile and many times the engine doesn't even get a chance to warm up before being shut down for hours.
[/b]
Well I would say that depending on the mileage you'd be due for some new plugs. But don't expect dropping in any new Coils and Distributors to give you instant MPG. Expect keeping your car in good working order (fresh clean oil, trans-fluid clean, belts not cracked or slipping, pulleys not dragging or have shot bearings), clean (washed, waxed, lots of crap removed from the trunk) and good driving habits to give you MPG

Keep your tire pressure up to the recommended and also make sure to do it when its cold (not driven).

It might also help to learn some Hypermilling techniques to save more fuel. I've been getting a solid 25 MPG using some of these techniques coupled with daily maintenance and servicing of my vehicle.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-...-ecodriving.php

Hope this helps out you. :thumb:

By the way, It seems your fresh to the forums, Someone probably has already but: :welcome: Welcome to the forums! :tcca:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts