Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i was looking on the internet cars mainly eagle talons just for fun and stumbled upon a page that had all the performance parts and what not for the talon. I looked and noticed a stage 1 and 2 and each one when clicked gave a list of a bunch of parts that you could put on youre car to reach a certin goal. (ex. 300hp =stage 1). I was wounder if someone could help me to do something like that. i would like to set a game plan to enhance my 1997 taurus 3.0l duratec's performance. heres the link to what i am reffering to.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/tuning-guide/1gturbo/
so if someone could help me to accomplish this goal i would be vary thankfull. i want to do this mainly because i want to surpise some people when they see the rear of my car instead of the other way around which happend tonight for that matter. i was arriving at a stop light and 25yrds away form it a civic zips by me and gets stuck at the light i pull up next to him, he has a big ass ricy exhaust. the light turns green and we go no revs before the light just a stomp at green, put simply he beat me and that makes me very mad and i said to myself never again will i loose to a [email protected]#$%^& civic. so i need youre help to pump up the bull and not have that problem again.
thanks
jorsh

·
Registered
233 Posts
But that car uses a turbo engine, so it responds quite differently to those mods to a N/A car I think. What you could do though is order a front cut Nissan SR20DET engine (I believe you can get it in East West Configuration) and adapt it to fit. (Would need a lot of adapting).
Then you would have a good base to build up on, and it would respond well to mods, and theoretically there should be extra space in the engine bay.
A front cut minus transmission usually costs around 2000AUD, then you'd need to get some kinda transmission to bolt up and fit under the car and all...which is why I am gonna get a Falcon XR6 Turbo instead.

Julian

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mainly i just want a list of mods how much for each and what power to expect but i do think that that is a intresting idea and thank you for youre input.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
If I were you, and I was planning any big mods, I would PM Brad (Baby SHO) or teh Bob and ask them their ideas. To get to 300 hp is going to cost a buttload. That I can tell you. You could try supercharging or turboing your car, but you'd need to custom fab a lot of parts for that. I think someone was trying to assess how much you'd need to do to adapt the upper intake manifold to accept a roots style blower, similar to the setup of the Mustang Cobra. I'm not sure whatever happened with that project.

In any case, you can always start small and work your way up, laying the groundwork for big projects in the future. Get your upper intake manifold ported and polished, have teh Bob port and polish your cylinder heads, get an aftermarket exhaust (Flowmasters seem to be the muffler of choice), try to get a custom ground cam or swap your cylinder heads for the SVT Contour heads, like Brad did. I would start with a trans cooler, because if you're making that kind of power, you need the trans (especially ours) to be in as good a shape as possible. You might also want to start looking into a Quaife trans, because yours is sure to blow at some point.

Basically, what I'm saying is, you can do most anything with enough money. You're not going to be able to make 300 or even 250 hp cheaply with our car...

Best of luck to you, though!

JR

·
Registered
230 Posts
You might also want to start looking into a Quaife trans, because yours is sure to blow at some point.
quaife makes trannys for the SLO's??? AFAIK, they make torque biasing differentials (LSDs), but only for the SHO 5 speed. i think midwest SHO makes an LSD for auto, but i'm not sre if it would be compatible with your tranny

300 HP is not that un-obtainable, you have a duratec so you are already at 200. you could swap in the countour SVT heads like brad did, add a chip, exhaust, and possibly some custom ground cams, a CAI, throw a 75 shot of nitrous on top of it all, and you should be abbove 300.

the chip you can get from american motorsports, many people on here have gotten them and like them alot.

cams, possibly from a speed shop, not too sure

exhaust, you can get done many places, DRAXAS is working on a catless Y-pipe i beleive, they sell a CAI, and so does sablesal

as for the nitrous, the ZEX kit is supposed to be a very good one, as well as easy to install, (you probally want to go for a dry kit)

and of course, add a tranny cooler

hope this helps, if i forgot anything somebody let me know.

be advised though, this will take alot of time, and alot of money.

best of luck
matt

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by wozza@Jul 12 2004, 02:43 AM
But that car uses a turbo engine, so it responds quite differently to those mods to a N/A car I think. What you could do though is order a front cut Nissan SR20DET engine (I believe you can get it in East West Configuration) and adapt it to fit. (Would need a lot of adapting).
Then you would have a good base to build up on, and it would respond well to mods, and theoretically there should be extra space in the engine bay.
A front cut minus transmission usually costs around 2000AUD, then you'd need to get some kinda transmission to bolt up and fit under the car and all...which is why I am gonna get a Falcon XR6 Turbo instead.

Julian
Yeah, you can get a FWD SR20DET, they came in a few cars in Japan like the Pulsar GTi, but no turbo SR20 was ever sold here in the USA. The Sentra SE-R came with the N/A version, but that's just a waste of money. That would be a sweet setup, but as mentioned, would be quite difficult to mount, not to mention the tranny issue. I guess you might be able to use the SR tranny. Unfortunately, no SR20DET is smog legal here in the People's Republic of California. :angry:

BTW- those XR6 Turbo Falcons are sweet.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Why would he want to go from a dohc 3.0 V6 capable of making 300+ hp with FI to a small 4 banger that probably would make him slower at the same hp level as the V6. :huh:

If you got the cash find a local speed shop to custom build a singlew turbo with a front mount intercooler. You'll need lots and lots of extra parts though. For starters an improved tranny, shift kit, injectors, fuel pump, better tires, better brakes and the turbo kit alone is probably $5k with install if you have a shop do it. If you have fabrication skills you can do a junkyard turbo install for a little over a grand. I know a guy who for a little over a grand put twin turbo's on his bolt-on 89 GT Mustang and with a slipping tranny ran 114mph in the 1/4.

I say do the little mods + nitrous. There have guys with bolt-on Duratec's + a 75hp shot of Zex running mid 14's in July heat. B) That should be good enough for most Civic posers.

Dont sleep on Si's though. With a power adder they run 13's pretty easily. :huh:

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you got the cash find a local speed shop to custom build a singlew turbo with a front mount intercooler
i'm not really sure with the stock internals this would be worth it. i beleive the most boost people would feel comfortable putting on stock duratec internals is around 6 psi, and that doesn't add up to a whole lot of power for what you are paying for (parts, labor, fabbing, tuning, etc...) the Noble M-12 is a kit car using a twin turbo 3.0 duratec, and it is putting down about 300 hp. i think that nitrous+chip+bolt ons would be cheaper than the turbo, and much easier. i'm not trying to discourage you at all here, in fact i would love to see a turbo SLO, just letting you see both sides.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Jul 13 2004, 02:07 AM
Dont sleep on Si's though. With a power adder they run 13's pretty easily. :huh:
Stock, the newest Si's are a joke. I think they run low to mid 16's. I know I ran one in the escape the other night, trying to get into a merge zone, and it was neck and neck until @65 mph, when his little guppy body out-aeroed the bricklike silhouette of my 'Scape. It was a 6-speed too, could hear him rowing.

Good luck trying to get a Ford computer system to marry a Nissan engine. You aren't going to be able to just "chip it."

Sooner, rather than later, there will be a Duratec SC setup, I know it. Engine has way too many upper-class applications to go unnoticed.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
They run the same as Duratec's - low 16's @ 86-88mph. With FI though they can be made pretty quick. the 99-00 models (my personal fav) actually ran like mid 15's and can be made to run 13's with some bolt ons and a small shot of nitrous.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Agreed, the older stick Si's were a match for 5-speed SHO's.

Anyway, back on topic. Bob Gervais was offering a port-and-polish for heads a ways back, contact him to see if he still does and what price he'll offer. Hopefully someday :rolleyes: :lol: we'll see Bob and Brad get Contour SVT heads on a 3.0 Duratec and discover what gains are to be made there. Duratec Performance, now Draxas, is working on a cold air setup, see the thread on this page. I'd put in a shift kit to maximize the power you're using now. Obviously, a computer chip from our supporter, American MotorSport, will bang out some more ponies. And, you can always start ditching weight. Got AAA and a cell? Get rid of the jack and spare tire then. Gut the trunk of carpeting and such, eBay it. And, like it was said before, look at ZEX or Venom nitrous kits, big bang, little buck.

P&P SVT heads: +- $650 @ 15-25 (?) bhp
CAI: +- $200 @ 2-4 bhp
Chip: +- $250 @ 15-20 bhp
Shift kit, $60, install, $250, -.3 sec 0-60, -.7 sec 1/4
ZEX 75 shot, $150? 75 bhp

Around a grand, I'd say a little closer to $1500. I'm not a Duratec person, so there may be a whole slew of other mods out.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, i would like to look into doing
contour heads =where would i get them? and more of a exact price?
UDP(i belive) = where and how much
run 2.25 piping from the flex pipe back, with a highflow cat and40series flowmaster
Chip
shift kit? not really sure need more info on it.
zex n2o sysetem
pistons, rings and seals = how much and where

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Stage One: Intake, Exhaust, Chip, UDP

Stage Two: Contour Heads, SVT Cams

Stage Three: Forced Induction, Nitrous

Stage Four: 5-Speed, Etc.

UDP's: search the for sale section. Theres someone trying to arrange a group buy. I may be intrested.

Chip is about 325-350

Cat back wont do jack crap. Mabye a few hp up top.
You dont need piston rings and seals.

Tranny upgrade would be good, but your talking as much as putting the SVT heads and cams in.

Brad

PS. I have contour heads for sale as well as a SVT head/cams/valvecover package for sale.

The SVT package is $550 shipped in the US. Contour heads are for sale, PM about thoes.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by TrueBlue@Jul 14 2004, 10:58 AM

Anyway, back on topic. Bob Gervais was offering a port-and-polish for heads a ways back, contact him to see if he still does and what price he'll offer. Hopefully someday :rolleyes: :lol: we'll see Bob and Brad get Contour SVT heads on a 3.0 Duratec and discover what gains are to be made there. Duratec Performance, now Draxas, is working on a cold air setup, see the thread on this page. I'd put in a shift kit to maximize the power you're using now. Obviously, a computer chip from our supporter, American MotorSport, will bang out some more ponies. And, you can always start ditching weight. Got AAA and a cell? Get rid of the jack and spare tire then. Gut the trunk of carpeting and such, eBay it. And, like it was said before, look at ZEX or Venom nitrous kits, big bang, little buck.

Around a grand, I'd say a little closer to $1500. I'm not a Duratec person, so there may be a whole slew of other mods out.
wow, a 75 shot of nitrous for $150? what, in francs? ;D

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by j0rd4n+Jul 19 2004, 01:00 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j0rd4n @ Jul 19 2004, 01:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TrueBlue@Jul 14 2004, 10:58 AM

Anyway, back on topic. Bob Gervais was offering a port-and-polish for heads a ways back, contact him to see if he still does and what price he'll offer. Hopefully someday  :rolleyes:  :lol:  we'll see Bob and Brad get Contour SVT heads on a 3.0 Duratec and discover what gains are to be made there. Duratec Performance, now Draxas, is working on a cold air setup, see the thread on this page. I'd put in a shift kit to maximize the power you're using now. Obviously, a computer chip from our supporter, American MotorSport, will bang out some more ponies. And, you can always start ditching weight. Got AAA and a cell? Get rid of the jack and spare tire then. Gut the trunk of carpeting and such, eBay it. And, like it was said before, look at ZEX or Venom nitrous kits, big bang, little buck.

wow, a 75 shot of nitrous for $150? what, in francs? ;D [/b][/quote]
yea...id have to question alot of thoes numbers as well...

There is no way you can get a safe 75 shot for 175

As i understood it, a shift kit was internal to the tranny, so yout talking at least 500+ for intsall unless you have the tranny alread out of the car. Also -.7 sec in the quarter mile......hmmm. I have my car chirping the tires from 1-2 and 2-3 and i done see more than .2 sec diffrence.

the port and polish svt heads....well, if you found HCEAP labor, ou may be able to ahve the LABOR done for that cost, but not even close to installing them. Plus the cost of gaskets and seals.

CAI...youll never see more than 1.5-2 hp

Chip...15-20hp...thats a tad on the high side. More like 7-15 hp max

Not trying to rip on you man, but theres a little mis info there that i totally missed the first time around.

Brad

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by j0rd4n@Jul 19 2004, 12:00 AM
wow, a 75 shot of nitrous for $150? what, in francs? ;D
Uhhhh, hence the question mark? :???: Also, see the little "+-" next to the prices.

And Brad, that's cool, not trying to spread misinfo here. I haven't looked at modifiying a Duratec, so those were subjective shots. The majority of that info's still pretty right on. The only one I can own up on is the tranny labor/install and quarter gain, you're absolutely right. Chip should still be in that range, tops at 16 bhp. Cost of the SVT heads didn't include an install because I have no idea what that would run at a shop, and so far as P&P goes...

contact him to see if he still does and what price he'll offer.
Already confessed my ignorance of the pricing on that one.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
thats cool...ive posted inaccurate stuff too..

believe it or not, i was trying to politly correct some info. If it did not come off that way, im sorry.

Brad :)

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
ditto..i meant any harm, either :D

and, for #'s sake, i think it could be between $500-600 for a 75 dry shot (zex system) for the 3.0 'tec, self-install (fairly simple, according to some of the people around here)

and for 15-20bhp for the chip, i think he may have meant 15-20tq increase, which may have even been on the low side of guessing :)

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
S'all good fellas! :) Now, back to the thread. :grin2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
But that car uses a turbo engine, so it responds quite differently to those mods to a N/A car I think.
The day a civic uses a turbo engine...

What you could do though is order a front cut Nissan SR20DET engine (I believe you can get it in East West Configuration) and adapt it to fit.
What is wrong with you?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts