Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is a newbie type question...I lost my old remote, which I got with my car. My car was bought used, and the remote I got with it didn't work....I lost that remote about a week ago. My car comes with power locks, but no alarm security system. I was wondering if I buy one of those remotes off e-bay, will I be able to use it with my car? and how do I program it? I looked in my manual, and it didn't say anything about how to program the remote for the locks and trunk. So my question is, can a Taurus with power locks be programmed with a new remote? Or do I need to have something special to use the remote?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
YEs, you can get a remote and program it.

To program (or reprogram) keyless entry remote transmitters into the remote anti-theft personality module, perform the following steps:

1. Make sure that the anti-theft system is not armed or triggered.

2. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN five times within 10 seconds, ending in RUN.

If the remote anti-theft personality module has successfully entered program mode, it will lock and then unlock all doors.

3. Press any button on a keyless entry remote transmitter, and the doors will lock and then unlock to confirm that each keyless entry remote transmitter has been programmed.

If the door locks do not respond for any keyless entry remote transmitter, wait a few seconds and press the button again.

4. Turn ignition switch OFF (or wait up to five minutes after Step 2) to exit program mode. If a new set of keyless entry remote transmitters have been programmed (or reprogrammed), the remote anti-theft personality module will lock and unlock all doors one last time to confirm.

Brad

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
By anti-theft system, he's really referring to the whole package, which includes the passive anti-theft system (PATS), door locks, etc. If you had the remote before, you can have it again, as you'll have the entire PATS system.

JR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts