Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to equip my 98 SE with a new head unit. I currently have the same Pioneer head unit I recieved as a 16th birthday present so its a little outdated. I've always been a pioneer guy, but I'm looking for something else since I don't like the looks of the new Pioneer unit. Suggestions? I don't have anything special, just 4 6X8 Pioneer speakers no subs

·
Registered
19 Posts
You might want to take a look at the newer designs that are getting away from CDs entirely. Don't know what your price range is, but here's an Alpine that isn't too expensive: Alpine CDE-122 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Keep in mind that MP3s files and such are lossy file compression, meaning that some of the sound quality is lost by using MP3s, iTunes and WMA.

I use a Dual XR 4110 and the bass response on some songs is horrible with the MP3s I am using. (But then if I really want to listen to music, I'll be sitting at home with a stereo.) I got it for $50 at Fry's and they have them from time to time for $40. http://www.dualav.com/mobileaudio/xr4110.php

Eventually I may upgrade the system and use a MP3 player that I can hack and load Linux OS onto so I can start using FLAC files, which have much better sound quality. :wub:

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
eclipse still makes great head units. pioneer has gone down hill since the late 90s early 00s. alpine well come on its alpine. panisonic is a mid range head unit. sony is good for the money. is you are just running the speakers off the head unit sony sounds good. eclipse is an amp is in play

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never even thought about getting one that does not have a CD player. I mainly used to hook my iPod up to it through a cord that came out of the back of the unit, but my 80gb harddrive took a crap on me so I've been playing through my smartphone. I have heard good things about Sony and Alpine. I like my bass, but I also cannot afford to hook subs up in my car due to the amount of space I will lose. I need all the space I can get for the 9 hour trip to college and back.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
My original '96 JBL system with updated speakers/original sub still rocks the house! I installed a PIE Ipod adapter in place of the trunk mounted CD changer and have 100's of hours of CD content at my finger tips in the front console. Original Mach systems are also a good bang for your buck.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I second that, from what I've seen and what is involved, head unit swaps are actually expensive on Taurus because of the adapters and wiring required, and the RMS power output is not even that much more than the stock MACH system can do. I run a PIE adapter on mine and have to say, it works great, it was inexpensive, and everything pretty much looks stock.

I will do aftermarket head units on other vehicles, but on the Taurus, I would rather us PIE adapters. When I someday add an amp, if I ever do, I will just use the line out converters and a sound processor with an amp and leave all the stock stuff in place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had nothing in there when I got the car, the stereo had been taken out. Didn't feel like spending too much, but wanted something that was decent. The adapter cost me $12 and the head unit cost me $50, plus it gave me considerable flexibility with my music selection due to the use of the MP3s loaded onto the 4 gig flash drives I'm using. I also don't need to worry about my CDs being damaged or stolen, some of which would be nearly impossible to replace.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here two of my faves for a great price. Both single din

The PIONEER MVH-P7300BT around $225

I see people spend money on subwoofers; amps, interior speakers, etc; your head unit limits the potential sound quality. Getting a good head unit isn't that much more than a cheap one, but will give you a night and day difference in Sound Quality; and the ability to custom tune your sound to your taste.

PIONEER MVH-P7300BT Includes every option available for single dins.
Blue tooth,
Pandora Internet Radio
Sirius XM Radio
Front USB (movies, music, pics)
Memory Card (similar to a digital camera)
USB Drive
IPOD
IPhone
Plays Digital Movies via USB or IPOD/IPHONE
Custom Backgrounds; 115 color illumination
----

Sounds quality:
8 Band Equalizer
On top of 8 Band EQ; it has 5 subwoofer frequency options: 40hz, 63hz, 80hz, 100hz, 120hz.

4 Volts Pre Outs (The higher volts the better the sound quality; 4 volts is the most on the market)
6 Pre outs (so you can add many amps)

Details:
PIONEER MVH-P7300BT

Overview info:
Pioneer MVH-P7300 Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com
This headunit also has a Auto EQ; which is a microphone; that will set your sound stage for you. Personally I like to do it myself by ear: But if you want cutting edge technology to set your sound stage for you: it's only 25 bucks

You can get the Auto EQ mic for around 25 bucks- Pioneer CD-MC20 Microphone
Other Accessories for the Head-unit like Sat Radio; Ipod Adapters etc:
Pioneer MVH-P7300 Digital media receiver - Accessories at Crutchfield.com

You can find it cheaper on Ebay: ;)

----------

Option 2 $155 (harness and Dash kit included)
Pioneer DEH-P8300UB (DEHP8300UB) CD/MP3 Car Stereo iPod USB & Aux

Pioneer DEH-P8300UB

Iphone/IPOD/USB

Pandora internet radio

5 band EQ

4 volt Pre Outs

6 Pre outs (connect a subwoofer amp, and a 4 channel if you want)

Detachable face.

SAT Radio

Plus much more!

Click here for details:

Pioneer DEH-P8300UB (DEHP8300UB) CD/MP3 Car Stereo iPod USB & Aux

·
Registered
45 Posts
Haha, i just know my stuff. I didnt used too but I had to learn so I could make some money on the side installing the stuff.

The two units above are amazing and with the high volt preouts youll get great sound if yoU ever want to get an amp or two or three.

Also great is the equalizer, most stereos from retail places have only a 3 band eq, treb, mid, and bass. The more the eq the better you can customize your sound to your liking.

Lastly no matter what you buy always look online. I never buy from places like best buy. My pt system has a 1500 watt class d amp 1 ohm capable and a perfectly matched 12" pioneer sub 2 ohm dvc wired to 1 ohm. Got all the wires enclosure and all for under 400 bucks (retail was over 1200, gotta love last year closeout model prices on new stuff). And in order to get the bang that Ive got from a national retail equipment youd need like 3 subs.

Feel free to ask me any audio questions if you ever have any.

If you want a single din dvd unit this is the one im buying next

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_32827_Pioneer-AVH-P6300BT.html

Once again look up the model number on ebay and u might find a better deal!

Oh and dan, Im a field rep for HP for a livin' so making things sound good is my job. Lol

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I didn't know Hewlett-Packard did audio equipment....
I started in mobile audio as a teenager, got into live sound (rock band sound man) and ended up as a Journeyman Master Electrician. Funny, the paths our lives take!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts