Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm more than likely gonna sell my 2002 Ford Taurus SE... as sad as I'll be to see her go, financially its actually a very good thing for me to do... its a long story. Anyway, I wanted to know what is the best car other than a Taurus or Sable that you've owned or own right now maybe. I'm looking at cars between 2006 and 2008 that I can find on dealer lots that are preowned certified. Just throwing this out there to see what you guys have to say on the subject. Just tonight I found a good deal on a black 2007 Pontiac G6 Sedan with black cloth interior, only a couple options on it, but it only has 20K miles on it for $12,995. With this dealer I was able to put a $250 fully refundable deposit on it to keep it held for me for about a week. What do you guys think? I'd love to read your thoughts, THANKS.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
i personally like the Bonneville more than the Grand Prix, but as far as the 07 G6 is concerned, yeah it's a decent car but the 13k does seem a bit steep. We are in a recession and those cars dont hold their value, I'd try and get it closer to 10k, and to be honest I wouldn't pay over 11.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The only thing I remember from the G6 is a comment from a used car salesman. I was test driving a malibu at the time and felt clunking in the wheel. When I got back I asked him about it and he stated"those cars have issues with their steering racks. We have changed a ton of them on malibu's and G6's." A couple months later I bought the bull :D
Have you thought about the Fusion?

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
The only thing I remember from the G6 is a comment from a used car salesman. I was test driving a malibu at the time and felt clunking in the wheel. When I got back I asked him about it and he stated"those cars have issues with their steering racks. We have changed a ton of them on malibu's and G6's." A couple months later I bought the bull :D
[/b]
That's the good ol' Lake Orion plant for you :p Those are both built in the same plant...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Maybe this is nothing, but I think you were a little crazy to put a deposit (even if it is refundable) on a car in this current market... No one is buying cars, so the ball is in the customer's court... Having said that, fight for the little things... Get them to throw in free oil changes or the upgraded warranty where you get a courtesy car if you have any problems... Just a suggestion...

Also, is your Bull costing alot to maintain?

·
Registered
971 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
That's the good ol' Lake Orion plant for you :p Those are both built in the same plant...
[/b][/quote]

IIRC my car was LeSabre was built there in 02 and with 66700 miles the steering's fine...

·
Registered
230 Posts
duuuuuuude dont get a pontiac, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyooonnnnneeeeeeeeeeee has one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unless its a GTO or a G8 :)

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
IIRC my car was LeSabre was built there in 02 and with 66700 miles the steering's fine...
[/b]
Completely different design no doubt... and probably not the assembly plant's problem.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I won't try and argue for a different car, because usually people list something because its what they want. I haven't heard a whole lot of terrible things about the G6 (just that it has poor blind spots) and in my experience the Aura (i'm guessing the G6 is similar) front doors are kind of small, like you gotta lean forward when you get in to sit down.

But I would suggest you get a lower price. This car is 3 years old and I doubt it was much more than 20k new, Pontiac depreciate a lot faster than that. Plus, like others mentioned, we are in a recession, they should be desperate to sell cars even at a minimal profit margin. I'd go for 10k and if they wont offer under 11, tell them you'll look elsewhere. Trade-in value is under 10k, I'll bet they didn't pay more than 9k for it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Let's say you finance 9000 at 6.5% for 3 yrs - pmt is around $275ish - this is assuming your car is paid in full and they give you 4k for it, plus taxes, tags, title, etc. Overall, you are paying around 14k - 10k in pmts, 4k in trade-in

So, depending on the problems, is it worth it to spend 14k to resolve it and get into car pmts? I presume car pmts since it may be a financial problem that you are working through currently.

One other note - just remember - the new car can have same or worse problems than the current with little to no recourse, only a pmt.

If it's a financial problem - check out Dave Ramsey (Fox Business News, Website, Radio, etc.) - common sense approach that works.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow, thanks for all the responses, lets see if I can respond to all that quickly and keep it short...

the reason I put the refundable $250 on the car was to hold it for a week while I thought about it, I didn't want somebody to come by and scoop it up while I was pondering my options... I actually got my $250 back today

the G6 was nice, good handling, had some nice interior features, looked great, sporty appeal, it put a little smile on my face while I was driving it... all in all though I'm a car freak, I love cars, so the G6 isn't exactly my all time fav ride, but for falling my price range it's a neat little car... so the Mazda's, the Fusion, the Hyundai's, they're all nice, and I have to take my time to look them over

my "financial issue" is that my current Taurus is under my dad's name, I didn't even get to cosign on it, and he wants the car out of his name, I still have $3,200 left on my car it has close to 50K miles on it now, I have a friend that is in need of her first car and she'll give me $5,500 for the Taurus... I can then pay off the car, get the Taurus from my dad and use the remaining money to do a down payment on a used certified car where I can keep the same monthly payment roughly and not have to touch a dime from my savings, I don't want to go broke and not have any emergency money in case of something going wrong in my life... and since I wasn't a cosigner I didn't build any credit from getting the Taurus, I have excellent credit for my age (23), but I want to build it up even more and a car is a great way to do all that...

silvapain, nice offer, I test drove the G8 and it's great, but I can't justify the gas mileage and the insurance

and just for everybody to know, the Taurus runs great, I've kept that baby up very well, and I had all my work done through the dealer, she's a champ, but since it makes sense for me to do this, I have to part ways with her

now my eyes are on a ford focus actually, the MPG is very appealing, and the whole ease of being able to tune them and get body kits for it is fantastic, I'm no rice machine lover, but I'd definitely have fun playing around with one

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
You're going to be taking a hit if you trade in the Taurus with a lien still on it. Why not keep the taurus until it's paid off.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If You get a 2006 or 2007 Buick Rendezvous, they are really efficient for its size. Its got the quiet tuning also. You have a choice of FWD or AWD. I know its not a sedan but there seems to be a healthy supply at some of the dealers around here so you could get a good deal. My mom has loved her Buick so if you would consider somthing different, the Rendezvous is a good choice.

P.S.- If you can get over the styling, the Pontiac Aztek is really not that bad of a vehicle either. Its built on the rendezvous platform.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I am thinking that the main point of this thread is that he isn't a millionaire... A Buick Rendezvous is going to be $$$$

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It's easier to get financed on a new car instead of a used one, and the interest rates are usually lower as well. I would look at some entry level small cars, like a Accent, Mazda 3 (I love them), or a Kia Spectra. People are not buying new cars these days, so dealers will do almost anything to earn your business. I would price them online, thats what I did when I bought this car. It was worth driving 70 miles to save about 2 grand, the dealers in Austin won't budge much in price as they did in San Antonio.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts