Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, the tranny on my Taurus went out at 120,000 miles, and now I'm looking for another car.

I'm thinking either a Ranger, a ZX2, or a Taurus with a duratec. Can anyone else suggest a good car for a 16 year old? (maybe something fast, or good for offroading
)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I suggest you not to buy another Taurus unless you need one for convenience. You already know what owning and driving a Taurus feels like, so buy something completely different and experience that instead of another big family sedan.

X

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by DeltarMN@Feb 10 2004, 07:47 PM
Get a Mazda Miata, I hear thoughs are great for off roading.

If you want a good truck, what about the nissan frontier? According to carsdirect.com you can get it for $2000 under invoice with the factory rebate.

J

·
0 Posts
How about a good FORD truck?? That's what they do best. 96+ F150's are pretty nice, not sure what price range you're looking for...

But I would recommend a Gen 4 Duratec Taurus - very nice revisions - I went from a Gen 3 and Gen 4 and have no regrets (*knocks on wood*).

Good luck with your search and, of course, we are always here if you have questions.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Just look in the paper for a Taurus that is cheap because it has something stupid wrongwith it and the person just spent $1500 on a tranny and doesn't feel like fixing it. It all comes down to what you like and are looking for.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're trading a 2001 F-150 Lariat in for whatever I get...So, i can get a pretty nice car/truck. I have been looking at jeep wranglers some to.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well, don't just get rid of the taurus unless you are truely ready. OK, so it needs a tranny. is it really worth parting with over that?
You can have another car as well (or truck)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Feb 11 2004, 08:37 PM
ford f150's huh. blow a hole in your poket puttin gas into it. Go for a toyota truck
I hate them...weasle yoder trucks! buy something sporty...yet roomy...and fast!!

X

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Sticky@Feb 10 2004, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking either a Ranger, a ZX2, or a Taurus with a duratec. Can anyone else suggest a good car for a 16 year old? (maybe something fast, or good for offroading
)
Take the taurus off the list, you are only 16. Get something more sporty and fun. If you were on a very limited budget and just needed a car to get from a to b the taurus is a good value, but it sounds like you can do better than that

I dont know much about trucks, so I'll give you what I know about cars:

If you want the cheapest fastest car get a mustang mach1. IIRC, those things are going for $25k and are running high 12's with a very good driver. Dont know how much your insurance will go up, though

Dont know if you have considered the mazda 6 or the mazda3. The mazda3 can be had for under $22k with hid's, navi, 17" wheels, and some other good stuff.

For me, I'm only 21 and I am strongly considering buying a scion tc when it comes out in june. I cannot stand my taurus as it is getting boring and is falling appart faster than ford esp can fix it. The tc comes with 17" black chrome wheels, full glass roof, 160hp 2.3l toyota camry engine (this engine has a low compression ratio
), and a bunch of standard stuff like abs, 4 wheel disc brakes, power doorlocks, etc. It looks like a coupe, but is really a hatchback. All that stuff I mentioned comes with a nice price of $16,800. Also has a trd supercharger as an option.

Good luck with car shopping

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know if you can fit a 2.5L Duratec V6 (or even a 3.0) in a ZX2? I wouldn't mind having one of these, but I know that the Zetec Engine isn't exactly the most powerful engine.

X

·
0 Posts
No idea. Might want to check with some zx2 forums. Zx2 is a great car, one of ford's very few cars to be liked by consumer reports and have outstanding reliability. I really like the updates they made to the front in 2003. If you want more power, why not take the money you would spend to swap engines and buy something else?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I,d vote ZX2 but I'm biased. If you have any questions about them let me know I've owned a '98 and currently own an '03 ZX2. If you do get one though be sure it's a manual they're pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@Feb 11 2004, 09:48 PM
Take the taurus off the list, you are only 16. Get something more sporty and fun. If you were on a very limited budget and just needed a car to get from a to b the taurus is a good value, but it sounds like you can do better than that

I dont know much about trucks, so I'll give you what I know about cars:

If you want the cheapest fastest car get a mustang mach1. IIRC, those things are going for $25k and are running high 12's with a very good driver. Dont know how much your insurance will go up, though

Dont know if you have considered the mazda 6 or the mazda3. The mazda3 can be had for under $22k with hid's, navi, 17" wheels, and some other good stuff.

For me, I'm only 21 and I am strongly considering buying a scion tc when it comes out in june. I cannot stand my taurus as it is getting boring and is falling appart faster than ford esp can fix it. The tc comes with 17" black chrome wheels, full glass roof, 160hp 2.3l toyota camry engine (this engine has a low compression ratio
), and a bunch of standard stuff like abs, 4 wheel disc brakes, power doorlocks, etc. It looks like a coupe, but is really a hatchback. All that stuff I mentioned comes with a nice price of $16,800. Also has a trd supercharger as an option.

Good luck with car shopping
I agree with XLSuruaT. I'd get something fun if you're 16 and you've got a decent margin of money.

My taurus is nice. I'm 21 and in college and it's good for moving my stuff and people around, but i'd dump it in a heartbeat if I could get a Mazda6 for the same payment I'm making now.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
How 'bout a late model V6 cougar with a stick... it'll hae a 2.5 ltr 'tec and if you get ambitous, you can do the 3.0 swap later on.

BTW, the newer Toyota Tacomas look pretty mean for a small truck. Expecially if you get the TRD offroad package.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
If you want a ZX2 with a 2.5L why dont you just get a Probe GT, I drive one now and I love it. It comes with the 2.5L and handles like a dream. Also look at the Contour SVT(baby SHO) and the Focus SVT. Each of these cars would be a blast for you. All between 164hp and 200hp. Alot of mods for all of them. My gf had the ZX2 and I was not a huge fan. I like a V6. I drove an 4 cyl SVT Focus and it was fun in the top end but did not shine in the low end at all. The Contour SVT and the Probe GT have a very even power band. Good high and low.

Just my 2 pennies

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Of course, there's always the obvious... SHO with the stick.
Still cram in 5 freinds and row the gears.

Not enough room? Impala SS can be had for about $11k.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts