Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm actually gonna get it tomorrow, it's in immaculate condition, the guy had a stack of reciepts like a foot high. like oil changes going back to 1996 are fully documented, it's crazy.

anyway the windshield washer pump will not spray anything when you push in the end of the turn stalk, no matter what. also, the wipers will not automatically come on when you push it in either (i think they're supposed to?) i think maybe once the wipers came up but that's it. the guy said he had it spraying earlier that day. the pump makes no noise and the reservoir is full. also, for a while the 4-ways would not work until i pressed the turn signal down (left turn) then the 4-ways turned on. i was then able to return the turn signal to normal and remove the key and the 4-ways kept working. the car has 257,000 km on it so i figure maybe the multifunction switch? otherwise the car is like mint.

oh yeah and the parking brake won't illuminate the brake idiot light, but it lights up when the bulb test is run in the ON position. switch?

thanks all.

·
Registered
478 Posts
dont worry about the parking brake light, my 95 does that all the time, you just have to remember everytime you set it to take it off..............and if for some reason after you start the car, and the parking brake light is still illuminated(no parking brake on) just turn the key back slightly(keep the car running) and itll turn off

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Welcome to the club! :tcca: You'll love it here. That sounds like a nice car.

The parking brake light could be a result of a dirty parking brake switch. It's right near the parking brake pedal. Just spray the switch with WD-40 and then engage and disengage the pedal a couple times.

And before you get a new MFS, try popping off the end cap and clean inside it. Sometimes it's just dirty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the brake light is fixed, the wire on the switch just had to be worked in and out a few times. i have it home now, it's getting safetied tomorrow, i know it'll at least need a balljoint.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
It may be the MFS, and the cleaning trick may well take care of that, but it could also be the WCM (wiper control module), which went out on my 1993 Police Package. If it is in fact that part, don't bother going to the dealer, unless you like taking it up th... well, you get the idea. :blink: Instead, head to your local junk yard and see if they have one, or have a Gen 2 Taurus in the Yard anywhere. It's a black box, just above the chime module (the thing that goes "ding" when you open your door with the key in the ignition). There are a couple of torx scerws holding it in, nothing major.

Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm with Racer X. I think your problem is the Multifunction Switch. That's the whole turn signal, wiper/washer, stalk and the switch it's built into on the side of the steering column. It's not too expensive.... say $50 some and it's not too hard to replace. Some here have removed theres and cleaned the contacts with WD 40 and they've worked fine. On my previous Taurus a '96, the high speed wipers wouldn't work unless the left turn signal was on or the high beams were on. Repcaed multifunction switch fixed all.

Also, I'd highly recommend getting the Haynes Manual for your car. It's about $13 and I guarantee you it'll save you 10 times that amount.

You can get a multifunction switch and other parts too at Rockauto.com.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts