Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
I've heard nothing but good from the two people I know of that have them. And I haven't heard anything in the media (except good things) about them, so I'd say that's a good sign.
Will this replace your Taurus?
They are very nice and very cool cars! Good luck with your shopping!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Make sure you have the correct updated horsepower information. Mazda initially overrated the car's horsepower in both auto and manual forms. The difference is significant (something around 10HP to 13HP). Just make sure you aren't looking at old reviews or old spec sheets.

The rotary motor in the previous RX-7s isn't known for reliability at all. Don't be surprised if you run into reliability problems later in the car's life.

[IMO] I would save a few more $k's and buy a 350Z. It's probably cheaper and easier to fix than a RX-8 if it ever breaks down. [/IMO]

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by civicex@Mar 28 2004, 03:03 AM
Make sure you have the correct updated horsepower information. Mazda initially overrated the car's horsepower in both auto and manual forms. The difference is significant (something around 10HP to 13HP). Just make sure you aren't looking at old reviews or old spec sheets.

The rotary motor in the previous RX-7s isn't known for reliability at all. Don't be surprised if you run into reliability problems later in the car's life.

[IMO] I would save a few more $k's and buy a 350Z. It's probably cheaper and easier to fix than a RX-8 if it ever breaks down. [/IMO]
10-13 horse isnt that signifigant in my oppinion... adding an exhaust or intake can make 10-25 horse, you can tell a slight difference, but not much. and the new weinkel engines have been completely revamped, i dont think anyone knows too much about reliability just yet, but i wouldnt worry about them too much. mazda now has years of experience fine tuning these engines and making them better(that explains why the new ones make more power N/A as compared to the older turbocharged ones)

comparing an RX-8 to a 350Z... id take RX-8 any day, hands down... too sexy. plus, imagine taking any other car, reving it up to 8000 rpm's(yeah, 8000
), dropping the clutch, and launching your a** into the backseat... too great.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
No Torque. That's pretty much the negative. The reliability problems of the old rotarys I believe were in part due to the cooling system complexity of the rotary engine and the fact that a lot of the rotaries were turbo'd (my cousin has an Rx7 that's turbo'd; he has more than 150 vacuum lines, it's insane.) The Rx8 Renesis engine is a dual rotary design without a turbocharger, and it has a lot more optimizations over the older design (better cooling, side ports). Also, although a Rotary is an exotic engine, I've heard that major engine problems are MUCH simpler to fix (blow a rotar? Take it out and put in a new one in).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Obviously it is a no-brainer to buy an extended warranty 1)Because it is a Ford and 2) This engine is fairly new. Not alot of miles logged, so there are bound to be things that go wrong a little further down the road. Better to have warranty pay repairs then you pay out of pocket.
I would get a 350Z. They are just too sexy.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by 99V8SHO@Mar 28 2004, 01:46 PM
Obviously it is a no-brainer to buy an extended warranty 1)Because it is a Ford and 2) This engine is fairly new. Not alot of miles logged, so there are bound to be things that go wrong a little further down the road. Better to have warranty pay repairs then you pay out of pocket.
I would get a 350Z. They are just too sexy.
The RX8 is Mazda designed; Mazda has had some good luck with reliabilty, such as with the Millenia. And, they've had some bad luck too, but I venture to say that Nissan's been a bit worse than Mazda. Plus, the RX8 has 4 doors, yo! Also, like I said, the new Rotary is vastly different than the old ones, plus, they are N/A, so it'd be fairer to compare the two N/A rotaries if you were going to compare them at all (which may or may not be ok, but the old N/A rotaries were actually pretty good, just underpowered)

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0403_three/

Latest comparo of the RX-8 vs. s2000 vs. Nissan Z track edition. I've also heard nothing but good things about the RX-8. Mazda is on a roll recently with the introduction of the 6, rx-8, 3 and the mazdaspeed miata. (Mazdaspeed rx-8 is supposedly set to make a US debut sometime next year)

I think the new Renesis is a better designed rotary than that of previous years - it's already making as much power as the twin turbo's of old with better fuel economy. The reliability of these engines have prevented them from supplanting the cylinder design for combustion engines, but I think that the changes they have made (like moving the exhaust ports away from the intake ports, which contributed to some premature wear) should make these last longer. You'll probably need a rebuild of the engine when you hit the 80k-100k mark however.

If you want some video reviews of the RX-8 just search for in on kazaa or something
The UK show Top Gear recently had a segment on the RX-8 (including a timed hot lap where it was just as fast as an M3 IIRC) and there's one from a Japanese show called Best motoring

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I think the RX 8 looks mean as hell. If I were in the market for a sports car, it would be a definate candidate, though the interior would probably prove to be too small for me (big guy).

-Dan

·
Registered
178 Posts
I guess this is where I come in handy. I no longer work at the dealer (due to them closing the doors on their Mazda/Isuzu shop) But I was trained pretty well on the RX8, as well as some of the other cars. The RX8 has a lot of revisions. A lot for durability, and a lot for style as well as handling. The Exhaust ports have been moved to the side and has a revised apex seal(s) with an electronic oil pump as well as a mechanical pump with all type of solenoid valves. It now incorporates a an electric water pump as well as retaining twin oil coolers. The cool thing about that engine is that after it as cut off, both of the oil and water pumps keep running to finish circulating the coolant to prevent premature damage to the engine.

The engine was place further back and lower into the engine to lower the center of gravity. It shares it's 6 speed transmission with the Miata, so parts will still be plentiful. But it does have a completely different LSD, both made by tochigi-fugi. The wheels are narrow (for a sports car) but effective, as well as lightweight (225/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE040). And from what I hear from the customers I've spoken to, they're lucky if they can get 300 miles a tank.

In my personal opinion, I think that the Renesis is over engineered, but still could stand for some improvement. We had an RX8 come back on a wrecker because the customer didn't fully read over his owner's manual and read that the car is drive by wire and he ended up flooding the engine out after he cranked it up to pull it out of his garage (Mazda says that if the engine is cold, let the engine warm up for a minimum of 5 minutes (instead of turning on and off) if it has to be moved. Just follow the procedures and treat the car as if it were turbo'd (oil changes every 3k miles and no going over), allowing the engine to run for a couple of minutes before shutting it down if driven hard, and pay attention to the gauges.

That is it, you may finish praising over it :jump_with_joy:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
A good friend of mine builds and races RX-7 in SCCA races, so I know a fair amount of the wonderful rotary motors. The apex seals were the biggest problem on the old roto-motors.

The apex seals are essentially piston rings. The rotorary has no combustion chambers. As the triangular rotor spins, it creates chambers for the fuel/air to combust. The apex seals prevent this from "spilling" out of the chamber. Over time, they wear out, and you get blow-by and other not so pleasent things.

I don't think the apex seals are as bad as they used to be. The Renesis is a great motor, and supposedly is much more emissions friendly than the older motors.

As for no torque...well, the S2000 has no torque either, but it will whoop any of our Taurus' butts in a race. Short gearing and a light flywheel make all the difference.
Besides, the rotoary is such a fun car to flog around. It sounds good too. S2K sounds like a typical Honda buzz-box. Rotary has a sound all its own. The interior is also amazing. Go turn on the lights, and watch the interior light up. It's stunning.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
If the RX8 had more low end torque I would have bought that over my Acura, but the lack of power below 6k rpm was not that fun to drive around town. It basically has the same power curve as an S2000.

People have reported poor fuel mileage (~17mpg) and that the hp is not what they say. Alot of people have had problems getting them to run in the 14's, let alone the mid 14's like the mags pull. Very nice looking car and very nice interior.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Mar 29 2004, 04:20 PM
People have reported poor fuel mileage (~17mpg) and that the hp is not what they say. Alot of people have had problems getting them to run in the 14's, let alone the mid 14's like the mags pull. Very nice looking car and very nice interior.
Isn't the main advantage of the RX8 the fact that the engine placement allows for a nearly perfect weight distribution, allowing awesome handling? Buying a rotary engine for strait line racing is pretty stupid, IMO. The curves are where the fun is.

J

·
0 Posts
Just go get the thing and take me for a ride!! It is a friggin awesome car, you'll love it!!
:zoomsmiley:

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles+Mar 29 2004, 08:56 PM-->QUOTE (biteableniles @ Mar 29 2004, 08:56 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-jtkz13
@Mar 29 2004, 04:20 PM
Isn't the main advantage of the RX8 the fact that the engine placement allows for a nearly perfect weight distribution, allowing awesome handling? Buying a rotary engine for strait line racing is pretty stupid, IMO. The curves are where the fun is. [/b]
From all the stuff I've seen and read about it, the weight distribution of the '8 is a perfect 50/50 (like the LS...no point, but just wanted to drop that in
). Also the other advantage of the compact engine is that the car is lightweight - about 3000 lbs. give or take. These two factors lead to more than just straight line numbers, turn-in, braking, and other stuff about the are affected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts