Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in a previous thread, I am looking at an '01 SEL. Any particular problem areas I should watch out for?. My parent's have a '03 SES and it's been great, and they had a '94 GL before that.... I am fairly familar with checking out a used car, and I will run a carfax if things get serious.

Educate me. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've owned an 01 SEL 24V for 7years and generally happy with it. I think suspension and steering items are the most likely and costly at that age. That goes for any 10 yr old vehicle. Taurus have weaknesses with DPFE sensors, PCV hoses, but not much worse than other brands. Enjoy.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Common Issues

As mentioned in a previous thread, I am looking at an '01 SEL. Any particular problem areas I should watch out for?. My parent's have a '03 SES and it's been great, and they had a '94 GL before that.... I am fairly familar with checking out a used car, and I will run a carfax if things get serious.

Educate me. Thanks guys.
I have owned (past tense) 5 and now own 2 (Taurus/Sables) I have had the Vulcan, Duratec, and Essex engines. For 20 years I drove about 30K a year in mine, all bought used 50 to 100K miles at the start, and all passed on to my girls and their spouses. I cannot relate to the issues others have in many cases, it just has not happened to me, so I do not doubt their issues, but have a probem thinking they are common.

In all mine, and my kids, never had a major engine issue, or transmission. Never replaced a ball joint, or rack and pinion, or PS pump.

I have had two break front springs, and others here have had that also, it is for sure a common problem. I have replaced one belt spring tensioner, but it was rusty, likely someone washed the engine, or it was in high water. In fact, I may have washed a few engines before I got the message. Several water pumps on the Vulcans. Pump is easy to replace compared to the Essex.

Never replaced a wheel bearing. Never replaced a plug wire. The older ones with the ignition in/on the distributer had a problem with failure on the road. I had only one fail on the road. One is enough for that. They moved the ignition module to the firewall but do not know exactly when and they did not have any problems. My '90 was the last with the ignition module on the dist.

All my sedans needed rear struts by about 100K. I check them couple times per year while checking my brakes. If I see any sign of oil leaking, I replace. Others may drive a long time that way, but my car was my work. For ~20 years I spend about 4 days a week on the road, going to factories with tools and equpment. I used older low cost cars as I often had to park in the field, or cross the RR tracks, as well drive in moutains of PA on back roads. Always a chance meeting with a deer, bear, turkey, or wildcat.

As to CarFax. On my last purchase, I looked on the internet at about 15 or so, settled to maybe 5, then did a CarFax. One that I had looked at, and looked nice '03 Taurus SES with lots of options, had been rental, lease, and then had 7 more private owners, and been through the auction 3 times, been in IA, MI, NY, WV, and PA. Also had one Red Title in PA. Rebuilt total. Just an example.

Good Luck

-chart-

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
My 2001 SEL had almost 150000 when I sold it last year. Looked and ran great yet but I wanted to update to something with less miles. Struts and springs are very much a common problem on a Taurus as others have stated. PCV and the coil pack (2001-2003) are something I would replace automatically (if they have never been) on the Duratec. Mine had on time service done to it and a fair amount of highway miles and was adult driven. I had no tie rod ends, transmission or power steering pump issues. Make sure to do a carfax check and always try to talk to the previous owner. With a few exceptions a non-abused Taurus should give you 200,000 with some of the above mentioned expectations. I would think being in the Southeast away from the salt belt would help. If you have a few basic mechanical skills I think a Taurus can be great bargain. A plus is, since Taurus' were so popular, parts are easy to find at a junk yard. Have fun!

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Add On

My 2001 SEL had almost 150000 when I sold it last year. Looked and ran great yet but I wanted to update to something with less miles. Struts and springs are very much a common problem on a Taurus as others have stated. PCV and the coil pack (2001-2003) are something I would replace automatically (if they have never been) on the Duratec. Mine had on time service done to it and a fair amount of highway miles and was adult driven. I had no tie rod ends, transmission or power steering pump issues. Make sure to do a carfax check and always try to talk to the previous owner. With a few exceptions a non-abused Taurus should give you 200,000 with some of the above mentioned expectations. I would think being in the Southeast away from the salt belt would help. If you have a few basic mechanical skills I think a Taurus can be great bargain. A plus is, since Taurus' were so popular, parts are easy to find at a junk yard. Have fun!
I would add on, coolant change. On the Vulcan more important.

While many keep up about oil, and filters: many people ignore the PCV and Coolant changes. Along with normal wear items like the belt. And of course the cabin air filter is so often missed.

And for those with drum brakes in the rear, wheel cylinders start to leak before the 100K. My '03 with 81K were both leaking on both ends, but just starting so no damage. $6 per at RockAuto.

-chart-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Much appreciated guys. Above and beyond, chartmaker!

The car in question is a 24V with 112K miles on it.

Also, I recently replaced the PCV valve in my parents 24V, should I've replaced the hose too?

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Pcv

Much appreciated guys. Above and beyond, chartmaker!

The car in question is a 24V with 112K miles on it.

Also, I recently replaced the PCV valve in my parents 24V, should I've replaced the hose too?
OK you are the mechanic.:)

That PCV has to be one of Ford's NOT better ideas.:angry:
Right up there with the spring clamps on hoses, with the ends turned to where you cannot get on them. I know where to borrow the tool for that one.:p I used to use a Dremel with flex shaft and slitting disc and cut the guy on the backside.

And then there is the lower radiator hose on the pre '01 DOHC with the water pump in the front. I gave $190 to Ford and threaded the needle to get it in for someone else. '98. Not my $$.

So bad AllData says to turn the PCV 180 degrees. End of discussion.

My first one I made a tool, then after other's posts I used a 7/8" 12 point socket and extension.

Pic in a post somewhere.

-chart-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
^ Thanks. I do what I can... The hose is going to stay on there for now.

Also, are the dash lights hards to replace? Both the previous '94 and the current '03 seem to have a habit of blowing speedo lights.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts